Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Law of averages strikes again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Flipping balance of life sucks. I go from getting my COA on the LE. SO my parts car is a BumbleBee & I'm excited to find out. I then go rent a car dolly to head up to Olympia (3+ hour drive turned to 4+ because of traffic). I get the to pick up one of the 2 914's I bought. Turns out the complete 75 has no interior. The windows were all shot out by the guys son & his BB gun. Car is a total rusted POS. At least it has the coveted 1.8 drivetrain with the incredible single carb. I'm going to pull the drivetrain & take the piece of shit straight to the crusher mad.gif . So I finally leave his place around 9:30 . I'm pretty well pissed off at this point as the night has gone to total shit.

But wait it can get worse dry.gif . After multiple stops to check & tighten straps. I think I am finally comfortable to go the rest of the way. of course they are doing flipping road construction everywhere in WA. They do it at night so less traffic to deal with. Still plenty to slow me down though. I am in Oregon & on the home stretch. THUMP! I think I got a flat. I pull over & the dolly tire tread completely ripped off. Of course there is no spare for the dolly (I did bring 2 for the 914 just to be safe). So it is 1 am & I am on the side of the freeway in Salem. I think to myself where the hell am I going to find a trailer rim with tire at 1 am. Okay besides off someone elses trailer poke.gif . I think of walmart. I know I have seen trailer tires at a walmart before. SO I unhook & go to the closest walmart. NO luck as they don't do tires at that one. They point me to there other new superstore. I find a rim & tire although a little small it will work. So I spend $75 on the damn rim & tire. To put on a rental trailer that cost me $35 to rent. Okay I am finally back on the road & only 35 minutes from home.

Whats that you ask. Did I make it home fine then confused24.gif . HELL NO! Now the drivers side rear tire on the 914 decides it's lived a good life. It didn't blow just went totally flat which I saw before it was a huge problem. So 10 minutes back on the road I have to pull off to change that tire. REally not ahuge deal as I was prepared for that. Had my floor jack out & did a decent impersination of a 1 man nascar pit crew. I get it swapped quick & am back on the road. Of course I am beyond pissed off at this point. Still I am finally on the road again.

I make it home a little after 3 am headbang.gif . What a fuched up night. Total stromberg.gif
BigDBass
Eh, that sucks and I'm sure you were fuming. Now forget about all that and dwell on the part about that LE COA!
messix
quitcher bitch'n! slap.gif

you stumbled on 2 TWO LE's! [lucky bastard] and those were no effort compared to this latest hassle.
JRust
QUOTE(messix @ Jul 7 2010, 12:02 PM) *

quitcher bitch'n! slap.gif

you stumbled on 2 TWO LE's! [lucky bastard] and those were no effort compared to this latest hassle.

Oh yeah I fogot to mention getting stung by a yellow jacket mutlitplt times form the POS 914. REaching under the rear hood that wont close. I was getting a strap over it to hold it it place. Aparantly there is a small nest in there I failed to notice.
Just keeps getting better. I'm not done fuming yet either as the damn rental place wasn't open & I can't bitch about the damn dolly having passenger tires on it. Then find out how much more they plan to screw me mad.gif
1968Cayman
That would have never happened in Georgia; our roads are perfect and completely free of debris. There's also a magical tire fairy that makes sure everyone goes about their business with no problems at all.
Mr.242
crusher means that everyone's cars go up just a tad more: poke.gif

$750 bucks for two in the PNW. Ummmmm, rust? Your name is even Rust.

I am sorry. Anyway to just make a racer out of it? Get even with the car by beating on it like a "step-child." ????

EdwardBlume
Sorry buddy! At least you came out without a scrath (minus the yellow jackets)... do an exorcism on the car before you pull the motor...
JRust
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jul 7 2010, 12:57 PM) *

crusher means that everyone's cars go up just a tad more: poke.gif

$750 bucks for two in the PNW. Ummmmm, rust? Your name is even Rust.

I am sorry. Anyway to just make a racer out of it? Get even with the car by beating on it like a "step-child." ????

There isn't an unmolested panel on the car. Let's see rear quarters (both rusty with holes going through, Hell Hole (very hellish) REar trunk rusted through, floor pans rusted through (good for fred flinstone but not for me). No interior except fot the cracked dash. once I pull the drivetrain anyone is welcome to it
JRust
Oh yeah & being the genious I am. I have 4 much nicer 914's I would build before touching this one to fix anything
scotty b
Not trying to be a dick but it sounds like to me you bought a car sight unseen and are pissed at it's condition ??? confused24.gif You planned a long tow trip with an old car that has been sitting with only a tow dolly ? confused24.gif

Sorry you had a rough go but it almost sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy sad.gif
JRust
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 7 2010, 01:25 PM) *

Not trying to be a dick but it sounds like to me you bought a car sight unseen and are pissed at it's condition ??? confused24.gif You planned a long tow trip with an old car that has been sitting with only a tow dolly ? confused24.gif

Sorry you had a rough go but it almost sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy sad.gif

I didn't expect anything spectacular. I bought 2 cars with the other one being the one I wanted. It is a pretty solid car. Just was planning to get more out of the 75 I picked up. I did plan for problems with the car. Just not with the dolly headbang.gif . Thats what I get for not having a good trailer to use.
charliew
750 would have bought a decent 16 foot trailer. I never tried a dolly to haul a car, maybe I missed one of lifes lessons somewhere.
Root_Werks
That sucks Jamie!

Part it, get what you can from it.

What's the other like?
914Sixer
I see that Murphy was your co-pilot for the trip!!
JRust
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 7 2010, 02:23 PM) *

That sucks Jamie!

Part it, get what you can from it.

What's the other like?

The other is a 73 roller with glass gt flares. It's a solid car rust wise. A little hell hole work was done to it. It wasn't bad though. The longs & pans are solid. The rear trunk has a small area rusted through. Flares look pretty good except one rear flare has some filler that cracked. I'll get you some pics of it Dan. I'll be picking it up saturday afternoon sometime. I'd like your opinion on the flares. It screams autoX to me. Pretty well stripped. No windows in it or interior. Wiring is there but thats about it.
bfrymire
Sounds like a candidate for the 24 hours of lemons...

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 7 2010, 01:20 PM) *

Oh yeah & being the genious I am. I have 4 much nicer 914's I would build before touching this one to fix anything

mipstien
just how bad is the cracked dash?
Tom
Jamie,
Maybe that 1.8 drive train is a 2056 in disguise. smile.gif
Hope something good comes from this.
Tom
JRust
The good is the other car. It really wasn't all bad. I probably wouldn't even bitch about the car. If it wasn't for the crappy overall trip involved. I'd just be annoyed that the car is worse than I was told. The second car is closer to what I was expecting. My rant was probably lack of sleep induced hissyfit.gif .

I'll get some pics of the carnage soon. I'm finally home so I've got alot to unload from my rig. The cars trunks are full of stuff too. Just need to watch out for the damn yellow jackets dry.gif
JRust
A few pics of the junker
bandjoey
Your Ebay Ad: "Fixer-upper 914. Some surface rust but a great project car!"

Between the 3 you probably have a great car in the wings. Also, get a ping pong paddle to cure yellow jackets. You can hear their bones smack on the paddle. Makes a man feel good. piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 7 2010, 07:12 PM) *

A few pics of the junker

Is that color original ???

idea.gif Andy
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 7 2010, 07:41 PM) *

Your Ebay Ad: "Fixer-upper 914. Some surface rust but a great project car!"

Also, get a ping pong paddle to cure yellow jackets. You can hear their bones smack on the paddle. Makes a man feel good. piratenanner.gif

Oh damn, I've done that! it is kind of fun! screwy.gif
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 7 2010, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 7 2010, 07:12 PM) *

A few pics of the junker

Is that color original ???

idea.gif Andy

Not aberguine or however you spell it. ere is a pic of the front trunk which was surprisingly perfect blink.gif
Rand
The hairs on the back of my neck raised up when you talked about picking up a couple 914s sight unseen. I don't care how the seller portrays (whether they are ignorant or BS-filled wankers), I need to see first hand.

Always assume they are rusted pieces of shit. Let your eyes amaze you if you find otherwise.

I say, your karma is still on the positive side. Hang in there.

beerchug.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 7 2010, 01:27 PM) *

. I think of walmart. I know I have seen trailer tires at a walmart before. SO I unhook & go to the closest walmart. NO luck as they don't do tires at that one. They point me to there other new superstore. I find a rim & tire although a little small it will work.

WTF.gif You visited not 1 BUT 2 Walmarts and did you even think to check for Matchbox 914s? confused24.gif
boxstr
Jamie,that's Malaga red. Why didn't you haul the flared car home first and then say screw the 75...?????
Craig at camp
rhodyguy
jamie, why did you take the worst car first? other way around and you could've called, said "that's it for me" and been money ahead. did they come with titles?

k
mipstien
that may be a rust bucket in your eyes but i see that is has a ton of salvageable parts on it. most of those parts the other car doesn't have it seems.
arkitect
Jaime,
Your junker came with 2 different sets of rims...full 2 sets? How's the rear sail panel trim? Maybe a few good parts.

Dave
zymurgist
Engine lid, roof panel, bumpers (for those who like the late bumpers)... there seem to be some good parts on the junker.
SCV
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 8 2010, 07:23 AM) *

Engine lid, roof panel, bumpers (for those who like the late bumpers)... there seem to be some good parts on the junker.

X2

I'd pull the head light motors, head light linkage guards, door handles, and windshield wiper motor (If its still there) before sending that one to the crusher.
mipstien
Scary thought but that cracked dash looks better than mine :X
JRust
If it goes to the crusher it will be properly stripped. I take anything usable off a car that goes to the crusher. Before I take a car to the crusher (which has only happened twice). There is nothing left on it. Except maybe the wiring harness i it wasn't worth a shit to begin with.

No it didn't come with 2 full sets of wheels. The riv's are my roller set & were taken along for spares. Which was a good thing dry.gif .

If that dash looks better than yours. Just buy one of those plastic toppers. They are pretty cheap & look really nice in place.

I do have a title for both cars. I am definately pulling the door handles as they are nice & unbroken. I threw it on Craigslist to see if there is any interest. It is a savable car for the right person. That just isn't me right now smile.gif Sail trim is pretty good.

I'd be working on stripping it saturday but will be heading up to get the flared car. I'll be up there late afternoon to get it.

Kevin you need anything you let me know. Haven't seen your ugly mug in years. Hope you are going to make the BBQ next month in WA. Be good to see you beerchug.gif
Tom
Jamie,
Sent you a PM last night about the sail trim. Let me know when you get around to it.
TOM
JRust
Excellent. I am selling the car to a guy for a good deal as is. I don't have to screw with it biggrin.gif . Won't make anything on it but who cares. He has more use for it now than me.

I just want to ge the other car here. I'll be picking it up Saturday with my family along for the ride biggrin.gif . Half considered going to the mariners game saturday night. It would be pushing the envelope though. Not real crazy to have the 914 siting on the trailer in game traffic or while I am at the game. I am using a trailer to get it home this time though blink.gif
computers4kids
OK Jamie, Here's a novel idea...
Quit picking up every abandoned 914 this side of the Rockies and spend some quality time getting your V8 teener running again...you know it's been a year or your nice little LE slap.gif Geez!
rhodyguy
jamie, if you want to go to the game, you can pick the car up and leave it on the trailer at my place while you go to the game. parking$$ is bad enough as it is. with the tow rig and the tow behind it will cost a fortune if you can even find a place to park. i'm roughly halfway between oly and seattle.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.