Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subie advice needed please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
I have a guy that is selling a 96 Legacy L. It has a bad diff and bad tires, so he is selling it cheap or it goes for scrap. Would this be a consideration for an engine swap? My research tells me the engine is an EJ25D, which makes around 150 hp, does that sound right?
charliew
Not sure what the L means but it's too old for me to go to that much work over. It is phase 1 which means it has a different ecu and different mounting of the cam sensor and crank sensor and the intake bolt pattern is different so the intake stuff can't be swapped with the ph 2 stuff. Outfront might have conversion stuff to use it though but that makes it cost as much as a newer ph 2 ecu motor. If the motor and tranny are real cheap they could be used for mock up. Get everything though if you do get it if it's low mileage and you can figgure out how to use it cheaply.

I bought a jdm 96 tt legacy outback complete with everything including tranny and axles and all the turbo and harness and all from jhots. It's low mileage. I still don't know what I will use it on because of the differences in the sensors and ecu. My later plans may be to convert it to obd2 later electrics but it's not easy. The cam pulleys mounting are even different and thats where the sensor goes. Also the crank sensor is different, this doesn't sound too big of a deal but it is once you get started on it but it is doable but a lot of time and trouble. Being a jdm it also has higher compression but the motor you are looking at won't have this problem.
d914
we dont use the diff if your planning on using tranny,,manual??

other wise if engine in good shape and you have the car to pull stuff from yes.... plus you can scrap the car and make money back..we did that w a svx.. picked up for 400 and scraped for 180!!
Gigamight
these are the thoughts I had as well, use as a mock up at least, and get what I can and scrap the rest. He is offering it for $400, so it wouldn't beak the bank... just bend it a little...
charliew
In Tx. we have to have the title to take a complete car to the scrapper. It has to be in real small parts otherwise. Get the title. If theres no title it's going to be a lot more work to scrap but that should make it cheaper to buy. I think if it has less than 100k on it there is some value to the parts. If it's over 150k it's your call.

The 96 jdm tranny I have seems to have the same rear mount as a 05 legacy tranny I have so it should be at least a good mockup.
strawman
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Jul 7 2010, 02:11 PM) *

I have a guy that is selling a 96 Legacy L. It has a bad diff and bad tires, so he is selling it cheap or it goes for scrap. Would this be a consideration for an engine swap? My research tells me the engine is an EJ25D, which makes around 150 hp, does that sound right?

Since it is a Legacy L, it has a 2.2 liter engine (EJ22). Probably not worth converting your teener with this engine -- unless you're only doing it for mock-up purposes. It came from the factory with only 135hp.

Only the 1996-98 Legacy GT & Legacy Outback came with the EJ25D engine -- and those early EJ25D engines had poor head gaskets from the factory. The updated gaskets will usually cure the problem if the car hasn't been overheated too badly; if overheated badly, the engine/head surface can be warped and need surfacing to ensure a good seal.

The transmission (assuming it is a 5-sp manual) can be converted to 2wd using the Bremar kit, but that still isn't worth the $400 unless it has VERY low miles.
charliew
If it was a 2.2 turbo motor, about 160hp, the closed deck short block would be worth at least 250.00 to me.
camaroz1985
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 7 2010, 06:26 PM) *

If it was a 2.2 turbo motor, about 160hp, the closed deck short block would be worth at least 250.00 to me.

It's just a plain 2.2 engine. The 2.2T wasn't made after 93 or 94 IIRC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.