Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Girlfriend or Teener?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
My girlfriend of 15 months threw in the towel. Personal health and family issues and peripheral things......not directly me, which was kind to hear, and yes, to some degree, I believe her.

It is tough to get past the great companionship things we had. She even went with me to get my car last May to Portland. That may have been one of the great events we had together. 1,500 miles down the West Coast to get home to OC.

If she changes her mind, I would probably be OK with restoring things. We never did fight at all, and almost not any disagreement. Menopause is TOUGH. Tough enough to kill off even a pretty good thing.

But.............here is another REALLY interesting thing!

I dropped my car off today at Cooper Boggs for a real undercarriage cleaning. 16 hours, plus a glaze when done.

I went down to the garage when I got home with the car 8 miles away, and I was REALLY lost. I mean, LOST!

I am sitting here like a ball lost in tall weeds.

On top of that, the car is on a big lift, and we had a 5.4 quake in SoCal today when I got home. I was thinking about WHAT while my place was rockin???.......................MY CAR!

I did have sort of a premonition about the quake, and thought, gee, the car is 6 feet off the ground.

It is fine, being one of those expensive outside tower lifts with 4 doughnut pads.

But, I didn't even think of anything but the car.

I AM ONE HARDNOSED SOB, and I am glad the exgalpal DOES NOT know how to log onto 914World.

What does that tell you about this teener?

It may be displacement theory, but I am wandering around thinking of projects and work on Orangina when she gets back to me on Monday, or sooner. Hope I have her for Sunday!

AND NO MORE QUAKES TILL ORANGINA GETS HOME ALL CLEAN AND READY FOR 100MPH!!

John
avidfanjpl

Tom_T
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jul 7 2010, 07:32 PM) *

AND NO MORE QUAKES TILL ORANGINA GETS HOME ALL CLEAN AND READY FOR 100MPH!!

John
avidfanjpl

So you think that Coop's slicking up the underpan will really add 10 mph to your last cruze!!?? shades.gif
biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear that John. sad.gif

.... lunch - my buy? confused24.gif

Don't want you rattling around town here like a nut without a sack, or all in the weeds, or whatever! lol-2.gif
hot_shoe914
smilie_pokal.gif A man that has his priorities in order! beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Gee... I was kind of expecting a poll or something...

Having spent some time in life chasing girls and loving 914s since I was 6... I'm more than qualified to choose GIRLS.

Sorry bud, climb back into the bingo cage....
orange914
how did that toyota truck commercial go? as i recall, something like this:

girl friends come & go, but trucks are forever...

betty914.jpg ... orangeina???
RiqueMar
I'm only 22, so I don't have anywhere near the amount of knowledge some of you guys on here have concerning women.

Having said that, when choosing between a girl and my car, I know that my car will never wake up one morning, roll over, and tell me it doesn't love me anymore.
avidfanjpl
Great advice all!

Like the Orangina doodle! I need to learn how they work. Did you draw that one?

And yes, if there was a vote, I know our teeners would win, and cause some divorces. I can't be responsible for that!

And TOM!

I will be at Cooper's this weekend working on the car while he is detailing it. I will try to set something up with you for next week. Tuesday may be best.

Hope to have the car back on Monday. Cooper is going to Original Mike's, but I will wait till I have the car back next month to go to the OCR breakfast.

However, I may be up for going to watch the AX at California Speedway in 2 weeks. I would drive Orangina, but not compete, and there is room for you if you want to meet that Sunday (NOT AT 7 AM!!!) and go for several hours out to Fontucky.

I used to live in Claremont, so I know the way.

THANKS ALL!

I got a kick out of your responses!

John
avidfanjpl
corsepervita
I married one once. I got divorced and that cost me a lot.

Then I got a girlfriend. She cost some.

I got married again. That cost a lot.

Then I realized how many vehicles I have and figured the wife is cheaper than all of them combined (and she likes my Porsches as much as I do), so I don't care tongue.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jul 7 2010, 11:04 PM) *

Great advice all!

Like the Orangina doodle! I need to learn how they work. Did you draw that one?

And yes, if there was a vote, I know our teeners would win, and cause some divorces. I can't be responsible for that!

And TOM!

I will be at Cooper's this weekend working on the car while he is detailing it. I will try to set something up with you for next week. Tuesday may be best.

Hope to have the car back on Monday. Cooper is going to Original Mike's, but I will wait till I have the car back next month to go to the OCR breakfast.

However, I may be up for going to watch the AX at California Speedway in 2 weeks. I would drive Orangina, but not compete, and there is room for you if you want to meet that Sunday (NOT AT 7 AM!!!) and go for several hours out to Fontucky.
Dude what's the OCR breakfast all about? shades.gif
I used to live in Claremont, so I know the way.

THANKS ALL!

I got a kick out of your responses!

John
avidfanjpl

BigD9146gt
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jul 7 2010, 11:40 PM) *

I married one once. I got divorced and that cost me a lot.

Then I got a girlfriend. She cost some.

I got married again. That cost a lot.

Then I realized how many vehicles I have and figured the wife is cheaper than all of them combined (and she likes my Porsches as much as I do), so I don't care tongue.gif

You have chosen wisely... I cannot count the number of friends who have married money-succubus types. One even got a vasectomy in secret only to blow it in her face when she came to him and said "I'm pregnant".

The right woman won't make you choose. Thats the proof/holy grail of women. I'm a VERY lucky guy... and I love my wife! smile.gif She allowed me to use our wedding money to buy an LM-2 for the 914. SHE ROCKS!!!!
corsepervita
Totally agreed. I found out the hard way. I got divorced at a VERY early age only to find out the hard way.

I could not be happier. I love my wife to death. She's an amazing woman and I am thankful every day I wake up to have her in my life.

Funny how that works on that whole "Hindsight is 20/20" thing. Seems to only work and you learn things only after the whole experience is over.

However, my divorce taught me a lot of things. I mean... not only did I learn what kind of person she was, but what I was, how things can go wrong, what should go right, how to learn from it all and move on, and that life DOES go on and get better.

Not to mention I could just about be a lawyer from writing up so many legal documents since we didn't get lawyers and I had to do all the papers (we did a co-petition), so hey I even learned a little about law! Go me.

But in all seriousness, joking aside, I'm a happy man.
veltror
Rather then get hitched just give over half of everything you own/have to somebody you don't like.
dflesburg
Find a woman that works on her own car and you will be ok.

If she can listen to a car problem and tell you the correct diagnosis. She is worth keeping around.

Thats my advise.
underthetire
Looks like I'm moving in with my G/F. She loves camping and cars, and wants a new dirtbike. I think I found a keeper.
Eric_Shea
Teeners can usually be repaired. Even the ugliest ones... blink.gif

Wedding rings only exasperate problem areas on GF's.

Find a good one (either) and they'll be less work all around.
andys
A woman can in fact be exactly like a 914. Great to look at, satisfying, comfortable, amenable to your every need, then some years later all of a sudden PROBLEMS you didn't foresee. Clutch, trans, EFI headaches, up on jackstands, hellhole.......It's a money pit, then she wants a divorce and demands yet more money. Your heart is broken, but you don't learn and buy another 914 along and another wedding ring.

Andys
Scott S
I am still waiting for a creative "hell hole" response!

Love my girls (my wife and the little monsters - see pic - one with pink eye, one with... um... attitude...). Cant imagine not having them around - in both good and "less than good" times...

Love my cars when they are invisible (when they run as they should). I have never thrown a wrench at my wife, turned off the light and angrily closed the garage door on her!!
zymurgist
Your 914 won't get mad at you if you look at another 914.

You can lend your 914 keys to a friend so he can ride it hard.

You can have more than one 914.

Your 914 will never be jealous of your motorcycle.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jul 8 2010, 09:37 AM) *

I have never thrown a wrench at my wife, turned off the light and angrily closed the garage door on her!!

You havn't lived! lol-2.gif

balljoint
Eric is sleeping in the garage tonight. laugh.gif

Your best case scenario is get married and then manufacture some new 914 fans of your own.
'73-914kid
Well, to quote Scot Stoddard from Grand Prix..

"Y'know one of the most beautiful things about a car? If it isn't working properly, you can strip the skin off, expose the insides, find out exactly where the trouble is, take out the faulty part and replace it with a new one. If only we could do that with people"

In one way the car will always be repairable, and straightforward.. while the girlfriend... well, good luck. rolleyes.gif

Like everyone else is saying, find a way to keep both, and you will be happy.
turboman808
If you were with her 15 months and didn't care that she left then you didn't love her. Nothing wrong with that at all. I would say she did you a favor so you can find someone you do care about.

I don't know about others but I am very happy living with my future wife. We compliment each other very well. I'm a bit of an asshole and she is the nicest person you will ever meet.

Only down side is her sister. Who I am happy to say is leaving the state. Yes I will be throwing a party when she is gone.

piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif finger.gif clap56.gif pissoff.gif drunk.gif rocking nana.gif party.gif monkeydance.gif rock_band.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vXR5gjRMPk
Drums66
The girlfriend(I wish she would take the spell (mojo) off me!! laugh.gif
avidfanjpl
Mine has a monster mother that has her wrapped too tight. That was one of the VERY unappealing parts of it all.

I won't miss that old goat at all.

And it wouldn't surprise me if that old fart had a lot to do with things turning out as they did.

J
Drums66
The 914...I wish she would take this spell(mojo) off me!!!
Dr Evil
Find a woman like a car. One you can get in and out of as many times as you want, when ever you want, however you want happy11.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 8 2010, 06:39 PM) *

Find a woman like a car. One you can get in and out of as many times as you want, when ever you want, however you want happy11.gif

I think we need to add to the list:

Reliable
Low maintenance
Easy on the eyes
Silverstreak
The relationship between a boy and his sporting car is one that is similar to that of a boy and his girl. There are high times and low. And with enough money spent, they can last a lifetime. That and they can both put you in an early grave. It's nice when you can get the best of both worlds and share your passion for fine autos with a lovely girl who is genuinely interested in them as well.
black73
I often say the 914 is a lot like a woman. Lots of fun when things are going well. But sometimes become ornery and tempermental and demand attention if they feel neglected. And both become expensive!
MDG
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 8 2010, 12:35 AM) *

I'm only 22, so I don't have anywhere near the amount of knowledge some of you guys on here have concerning women.

Sure you do. By 22 you know what you need to know.

After 22 is when you start deciding how much of that knowledge you need to remember. Which stuff you can forget, what you can ignore, what you can pretend isn't real, what you should be afraid of . . . what you should be terrified of.
Mark Henry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9JuAx_CB6o
BKLA
Anyone remember the '70's movie "a boy and his dog" ?

(Too bad the girlfriend can't be used as parts for the teener smile.gif )

wink.gif
914_teener
Hmmm.

Having been there.....divorce....loss....love.

My advice:

Work hard at the things that you love....let go when you find that it hurts you.

When you find that you love again....hang onto it with all of your heart..it's work.

Lessons:

It's always a work in progress... the fun is the journey not the destination!

I still have my teener!

tat2dphreak
QUOTE(black73 @ Jul 8 2010, 07:10 PM) *

I often say the 914 is a lot like a woman. Lots of fun when things are going well. But sometimes become ornery and tempermental and demand attention if they feel neglected. And both become expensive!

agree.gif

cars are women you can fix.... for a while..

as far as which hurts worse? either one can tear you up in more than one way.

kerensky
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jul 7 2010, 06:32 PM) *
If she changes her mind, I would probably be OK with restoring things. We never did fight at all, and almost not any disagreement.
Well, if this makes you feel any better, I read this as a sign that you *weren't* meant for one another. If you don't fight or at least disagree sometimes, then you aren't invested in the relationship and the compromises it requires. I've never seen a 'we never fight' relationship last very long. poke.gif
FourBlades

Find a woman who has a good relationship with her FATHER and who is not wrapped around her MOTHERS finger and you will be ok. Women that have
issues with their father will have issues with you that you can't wirebrush
and cover over with POR15.

My wife de jeur once welded a new muffler onto her car before I met her and
has replaced CV joints and transmissions. She had no problem with my 3
914s and 1 911 so what can I say...

She does drive a 99 Corvette but no one is perfect.

John
zymurgist
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 9 2010, 09:23 PM) *

She does drive a 99 Corvette but no one is perfect.

If she hasn't convinced you to get one, I wonder who's the imperfect one... wink.gif
tat2dphreak
women without a father-daughter relationship do serve a purpose... as strippers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.