Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parade autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ottox914
Curious as to who is there, what they are driving, and what times are being posted... particularly 914's, of course.
DanT
no results for any of the activities on the official parade website as of tonight. sad.gif
J P Stein
From the Garage: 914s rule. Grant must not have been there lol-2.gif
brilliantrot
When you win two years in a row by multiple seconds, it says more about the competition, or lack there of, than anything else. I am sure it is a fast car with a very good driver but tell him to go to Lincoln this year so we can see what's what.
DanT
t would be nice at some parade in the future for National to attempt to entice all the TTOD cars/drivers from the last 10 years to all show up and have a face off.
Each parade seems to have one or two really fast cars...it would be fun to see a bunch of them show up for one big show down.

J P Stein
QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Jul 8 2010, 10:18 AM) *

When you win two years in a row by multiple seconds, it says more about the competition, or lack there of, than anything else. I am sure it is a fast car with a very good driver but tell him to go to Lincoln this year so we can see what's what.

He's been to the Nationals several times and won F Prepared 2 years running....& well placed when not wining. The car is for sale. Have mommy & daddy buy you the car so you can show your stuff, sonny.
grantsfo
There is a reason why its for sale. Spoke to Toby about that. LOL! It aint competive in FP anymore with the new class of cars that have shown up recently.

Funniest thing ever is to see old "Gramps" Stein muttering about 914's being top dawgs at nationals. Guess crazy old grampa Stein hasnt checked SCCA results recently! But hey if you want to compete in internet fantasy land that foul mouthed cranky old geezer from the Northwest knows his stuff! LOL!

Bringing well prepared 914 with national class driver to PCA Parade isnt much more than trophy hounding at a backyard BBQ of AXing. JP knows all about that! ...Well at least the trophy hounding part he understands. However winning Parade is definitely is great way to increase resale value of an aging race car with the P Car crowd!

I am happy to see 914's upholding fastest car of the day title however even if it isnt a fair fight! Congrats to all of us 914 fans!
J P Stein
The fastest car in FP is a 240Z. They quit making them 30+ years back. "Toby" will tell ya that IF you ask, I would think.
.....but hay, that was last year, all your newer cars still have a chance this year (again).
brilliantrot
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2010, 11:30 AM) *

He's been to the Nationals several times and won F Prepared 2 years running....& well placed when not wining. The car is for sale. Have mommy & daddy buy you the car so you can show your stuff, sonny.

Must have been a while ago as John Thomas has won the FP class the last 4 years in a row and has a total of 16 National Solo titles and 8 Pro Solo titles. If you want to get into a pissing match and make it personal, lets get the facts strait. John Thomas has the most consecutive Solo wins and is probably one of the better benchmarks in the sport. Last year Toby beat him on scratch time but had one pesky time insignificant cone but you have to stay clean to win.

Now lets look at the development time. Toby has only been developing his car for less than 10 years and only to FP for the last few and doesn't own a race prep shop. John won his first FP national title 19 years ago in the same 240Z and doesn't own a race shop either. What does Fordahal do for a living, oh ya build bad ass race cars and even he has given up with the 914 on a National level. With the rather open rules structure that exists in FP it doesn't really matter what suspension you start with as you can basically do anything you want given the time money and know how. In the last year Toby has done quite a bit of development and by many accounts gone to another level in driver skill. If I were a betting man (I am not), I would have to put my money on Toby winning nationals in FP this year.

Grant and I are shooting for a trophy spot and that I think is about all we can hope for. I would like to be competitive with Aaron but that is as high as we can reasonably shoot for with the development level of PB. I never claimed to be a great driver and have reasonable expectations. Lets also get it strait that while I do have my family behind me in this hobby, they don't pay for it.
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 8 2010, 01:27 PM) *

There is a reason why its for sale. Spoke to Toby about that. LOL! It aint competive in FP anymore with the new class of cars that have shown up recently.

Funniest thing ever is to see old "Gramps" Stein muttering about 914's being top dawgs at nationals. Guess crazy old grampa Stein hasnt checked SCCA results recently! But hey if you want to compete in internet fantasy land that foul mouthed cranky old geezer from the Northwest knows his stuff! LOL!

Bringing well prepared 914 with national class driver to PCA Parade isnt much more than trophy hounding at a backyard BBQ of AXing. JP knows all about that! ...Well at least the trophy hounding part he understands. However winning Parade is definitely is great way to increase resale value of an aging race car with the P Car crowd!

I am happy to see 914's upholding fastest car of the day title however even if it isnt a fair fight! Congrats to all of us 914 fans!

What part of this section of the rules don't you & "Toby" understand?
>17.2 S
Factory
bolt-on fenders may be replaced in their entirety. Cars with non-removable
fenders may replace the front fender panels going forward
from the foremost door opening and the rear fender panels going
rearward from the rearmost door opening. Closed cars must not remove
stock material above the horizontal line placed at the lowest
point of the driver’s door window opening.<

I *know* you are simple minded, but I don't know "Toby".
Leeds' car is very "glassy" and he runs FP with no problem. But then, Fordahl can read, understand, and prolly got a clarification before he built it. I just followed the rules as I can also read.

Ayup, I'm a grand pa, are you? I sure hope your genes are no longer in the pool.

If you & your boy wanna come up to the Packwood NT, Leeds is entered in FP.
The pair of you can show Leeds his car is obsolete......If you brought "Toby" along, I'm fairy sure Leeds could get Fordahl to co-drive. He don't need Greg iff'n just your Boxster comes.....but he might still bring Jodie to wax your asses.
Oh, wait,....a just demented old timers idea....... that would require that youz' guys would have to match your mouths with talent on a real live AX course.....with sharp turns & all.....that ain't gonna happen.
J P Stein
BTW, here's Fordahl at the last time he ran at the Nats in Leeds car.....2008.
He gave up too much on day one.

T 1 123 John Timothy Thomas 1971 Datsun 240Z Hoosier Mississippi R 54.608(1) 50.351 48.867 90.748
[23] Tampa, FL Zee Racing MW 42.354 41.944 *41.881

T 2 128 Greg T Fordahl 1971 Porsche 914 Hoosier Northwest R 53.029 50.796 56.747(3) 92.083
[28] Bremerton, WA Fordahl Motorsports/ Hoosier NP 46.484(1) 42.321 *41.287 (1.335)

Day two shows how competitive the the car is. Thomas (in the same car)beat "Toby" both days in 2009.

As usual Grant's information is garbage spread freely over the net.
brilliantrot
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2010, 03:54 PM) *

Ayup, I'm a grand pa, are you? I sure hope your genes are no longer in the pool.

If you & your boy...

Go back to bed JP and come back when you can say something nice and stop with the low blow ad hominem attacks. In case you have forgotten this is supposed to be a fun hobby and not a place where you get lambasted by people you have never met.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2010, 02:08 PM) *

The fastest car in FP is a 240Z. They quit making them 30+ years back. "Toby" will tell ya that IF you ask, I would think.
.....but hay, that was last year, all your newer cars still have a chance this year (again).

Let me know when FP 914 with a 2.7 aircooled motor can make 300 HP with torque to match 'smarty pants" . lol-2.gif

Datsuns have signficant advantage from power perspective and motors are very well supported.

Sorry but aging 914 platform with old weezy 2.7 aint going to cut it with the continued developments with BMW and Datsun straight 6's. You again mistake driver skill with car capability. Brit and you had everyone fooled until he actually had to go against some nationally competitive cars. Then the excuse books came out.

At least with the Boxster we have a real suspension under us and a chassis that doesnt flex like a 2 bit hooker.

And JP you dont have the whole story from 2009. But thats because you werent there! LOL! Go grab some more results off the internet - Its working for ya!
ottox914
I went to the parade site and clicked on results, autocross, and it just says that they will be posted. You guys getting info on who/what won somewhere else?
J P Stein
I know bout the motor problem and it's being worked on.
2009 eh? You gots excuses by proxy? Has it anything to do with insulation? You don't accept any, why should I?
Like I said....basicly, show or blow.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2010, 04:39 PM) *

2009 eh? You gots excuses by proxy? Has it anything to do with insulation? You don't accept any, why should I?

...Knock ....knock. Anyone home? JP you dont have a 914 anymore.

I dont blame you for throwing in the towel on the 914! That 914 without powersteering was far too much for an elderly gentalman like yourself to handle anymore.

It would be nice if you applied your own logic to your gum slapping "blow hole" But I dont think that day is coming anytime soon given your years of practice. But I have to say you are entertaining for an old dude in his 80's.

After I actually attend nationals youre welcome to post and prognosticate on the internet about how well or not I did. I will be there for the fun and excitement of top notch competition. Its too bad Brit isnt going. I think he deserves to see how he would fair at a national event but I really want to see him get into a cometitive car. His 914 isnt going to cut it.
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 8 2010, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2010, 04:39 PM) *

...Knock ....knock. Anyone home? JP you dont have a 914 anymore.

I dont blame you for throwing in the towel on the 914! That 914 without powersteering was far too much for an elderly gentalman like yourself to handle anymore.

It would be nice if you applied your own logic to your gum slapping "blow hole" But I dont think that day is coming anytime soon given your years of practice. But I have to say you are entertaining for an old dude in his 80's.

After I actually attend nationals youre welcome to post and prognosticate on the internet about how well or not I did. I will be there for the fun and excitement of top notch competition. Its too bad Brit isnt going. I think he deserves to see how he would fair at a national event but I really want to see him get into a cometitive car. His 914 isnt going to cut it.

Hay, great talkin' to ya if for no other reason than to see your evasiveness when you're shown to be as full of crap as a Christmas goose.
Write after you get your brain repaired. Right now you're easy meat. I really do hope it's nothing serious.
URY914
popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2010, 05:51 PM) *

Hay, great talkin' to ya if for no other reason than to see your evasiveness when you're shown to be as full of crap as a Christmas goose.
Write after you get your brain repaired. Right now you're easy meat. I really do hope it's nothing serious.

I'd have to be blowing sunshine like you to have a reason to be evasive JP.

I'm just brave ...stupid enough to chart new waters with the Boxster and you have given me nothing but grief since I have started on this trek. Sure would be nice to see my old 914 buddies like you to give some encouragement but guess this Boxster thing is threatening to you?

At least Brit stopped the BS after we beat him in a Boxster that had insulation placed over the intake. LOL!

Car goes to Dyno again next week. Will be fun to see how much more power we get with the "rat" pack out of the air filter.

Dont worry I have great team of doctors helping me and we are getting to bottom of the neurological issues. Isnt keeping me from forging forward with the car.
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 8 2010, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 8 2010, 05:51 PM) *

I'd have to be blowing sunshine like you to have a reason to be evasive JP.

I'm just brave ...stupid enough to chart new waters with the Boxster and you have given me nothing but grief since I have started on this trek. Sure would be nice to see my old 914 buddies like you to give some encouragement but guess this Boxster thing is threatening to you?

At least Brit stopped the BS after we beat him in a Boxster that had insulation placed over the intake. LOL!

Car goes to Dyno again next week. Will be fun to see how much more power we get with the "rat" pack out of the air filter.

Dont worry I have great team of doctors helping me and we are getting to bottom of the neurological issues. Isnt keeping me from forging forward with the car.

I would give you all the encouragement & assistance I could if you would (for once) go out of attack dog mode. Running folks down gains you nothing.

Again, I really hope the problems you're having get taken care of......for once I wasn't being a smart ass. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Thanks JP. Bottomline we share far more in common than not.
Randal

Did the Parade results come out? driving-girl.gif
6freak
And i told you one too many times! you were cry`n like a BITCH ......

914`s no power assist on anything ..takes a good driver and a strong one at that

Boxster with power ever thing .. still fun but its for wimps that cant turn:poke:

Its all good ..as long as your out there in what you wanna be out there in and having fun what the hell does it matter

but all the smack talk from a bunch of Older gentleman is always fun to read

Love ya man but your not get`n my bud lite

....DING DING DING round three

MikeC flag.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 31 2010, 11:12 AM) *

Did the Parade results come out? driving-girl.gif

I havent seen them but i think some guy from the PNWR ...KICKED ASS in a old 914

Kinda like some guy from the PNWR went to Cali a few weeks back and Kicked some Cali ass in his old 914

Kind of a pattern if you ask me
grantsfo
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 31 2010, 10:08 PM) *

I havent seen them but i think some guy from the PNWR ...KICKED ASS in a old 914

Kinda like some guy from the PNWR went to Cali a few weeks back and Kicked some Cali ass in his old 914

Ever see a big hulky 65 Mustang from Cali kick a PNWR 914's butt in an AX? Go to Packwood next weekend and you might get a chance to see it happen in person. Might even see a wimpy little Miata do it too. lol-2.gif

I know PNWR is center of the world for all things AX but the b team from Cali that is coming up might just have a chance if you guys have real bad day.

Why is it whenever you guys come down and "kick" Cali AX butt its at poorly attendeed marquee events and not open series like SCCA? happy11.gif
PeeGreen 914
Generally the only traveling most of the top dogs up here do is the local events and the nationals. Why would they want to drive 1,000 miles to a venue they have never been to before only to have a little fun? confused24.gif

Cali and the PNW has a very large share of the national winning drivers. It really is amazing how many of the drivers that win regularly are from the West.

I have been working my tail off to be one someday and now I finally get to build the car I think I can do it in piratenanner.gif . Then again, I could end up chasing my tail for many years. Who knows happy11.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 2 2010, 12:57 PM) *

Generally the only traveling most of the top dogs up here do is the local events and the nationals. Why would they want to drive 1,000 miles to a venue they have never been to before only to have a little fun? confused24.gif

Cali and the PNW has a very large share of the national winning drivers. It really is amazing how many of the drivers that win regularly are from the West.

Yeah thats the way I look at it. I tend to look at West Coast as a whole region where there are lots of motorsports enthusiasts.

GeorgeRud
Modified 914s or 914-6s almost always take TTOD at the PCA Parade Autocrosses, but they are only competing against other Porsches.
6freak
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 2 2010, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 31 2010, 10:08 PM) *

Ever see a big hulky 65 Mustang from Cali kick a PNWR 914's butt in an AX? Go to Packwood next weekend and you might get a chance to see it happen in person. Might even see a wimpy little Miata do it too. lol-2.gif

I know PNWR is center of the world for all things AX but the b team from Cali that is coming up might just have a chance if you guys have real bad day.

Why is it whenever you guys come down and "kick" Cali AX butt its at poorly attendeed marquee events and not open series like SCCA? happy11.gif

I did hear some bass ass fast cars are coming up from cali to the packwood thing
grantsfo
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 2 2010, 08:22 PM) *

Modified 914s or 914-6s almost always take TTOD at the PCA Parade Autocrosses, but they are only competing against other Porsches.

Its really to be expected. Very few modified class comptitiors, 914's have signficant weight advantage over most of the other cars attending Parade. In case of Leeds he is a national champion SCCA driver in a national championship Prepared car. One would expect him to win unless somone in an SCCA modified class car were to show up.

I do like the fact that 914's have taken TTOD for so many years now. Ift would be fun to build a full tilt 914 to PCA rules as I think one might have more flexibility under PCA than SCCA to build something crazy like a 1300 lb tube frame 914 with engine pushed forward, double a arm suspension etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.