Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 cylinder engine identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
I brought this topic up a while ago, but that thread is long since dead. I have this engine sitting around the shop, but I can't say with absolute certainty what model engine it is, partly because of inexperience, and partly because I'm still a rookie.

I know that it was pulled out of a 914/6 some years ago, but I no longer think it's a /6 engine.

One of the numbers reads, "911/02" which leads me to believe it is an 2.2 'S'. Another number reads, *6300063* which I believe is the serial number. Other numbers which I don't know what they refer to are, "1196" and "13595"

Any input? Anyone?

RiqueMar
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
jasons
911/02 is 2.2S MFI according to Bruce Andersons book. Nice find! I would rather have that any day over a /6 motor. I would price check that over on Pelican. Some S motors go for $$$$.
BigD9146gt
whats the number on the Marrelli distributor... I know its an easy thing to change out over time but it would be interesting if its still in stock form. Can you shine a torch in the cam towers and see the cam part numbers as well?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Jul 7 2010, 10:46 PM) *

whats the number on the Marrelli distributor... I know its an easy thing to change out over time but it would be interesting if its still in stock form. Can you shine a torch in the cam towers and see the cam part numbers as well?

BigD,

Just tell me where to look, and where to shine that torch, and I'm on it. Remember though, you're dealing with a kid here, so I may be a little clueless.
SLITS
The dizzy in the pic is a Bosch ... not the "yellow" tag "S", but a Bosch dizzy anyway. Numbers will be easy to read on the metal tag.

And, if it was an MFI engine, just look at the back side of the cam on the distributor side to see if that is a drive gear.
rudedude
Nice Find!
And it has the mechanical fuel injection drive on the cam.
Now try to find the original injection and that have fun!
SLITS
QUOTE(rudedude @ Jul 8 2010, 06:21 AM) *

Nice Find!

Sorry, I don't see the injector holes in the heads next to the ports ... or maybe I am just blind. Heads do not appear to be MFI.

And the MFI setup is $2K & up, plus rebuild and calibration of the pump. Gwen has the setup.
Vysoc

Nice Engine
*6300063* would indeed be a 1970 911S 2.2 Engine 911/02 2195cc which made 180 BHP & 147 FP of Torque. This engine required high RPM's on the powerband to produce max HP as the 911T 125 HP & the 911E 155 HP were more responsive in the lower to middle RPM range. That is a full out 911S engine, but be careful with the Magnesium Case as the older they become the more brittle.

NICE FIND aktion035.gif

Vysoc
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 8 2010, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(rudedude @ Jul 8 2010, 06:21 AM) *

Nice Find!

Sorry, I don't see the injector holes in the heads next to the ports ... or maybe I am just blind. Heads do not appear to be MFI.

And the MFI setup is $2K & up, plus rebuild and calibration of the pump. Gwen has the setup.

I agree, the injector ports aren't there. Lets see the numbers on the camshafts and the diameters of the intake ports.

The Cap'n
laflaur
While the numbers suggest it is an S motor, if it were me I would take the cams out,get numbers and pull the cam towers off to look at the pistons and measure the valves. that way you can verify the configuration. Good luck, if that thing has all the parts it will be a sweet motor.
John
Tom_T
IIRC the /6 motors had 640XXXX, 641XXXX or 642XXXX for XX-Y-XXXX ~ Y = MY
Look here: http://914.pca.org/9146Data.htm

There's another listing/chart somewhere on the we which has a more extensive list of the motor s/n's, but my half-zymers is keeping me from finding the bookmark right now! blink.gif

Also found this poking around online & maybe your Dad's old -6 is on there:
http://www.stazak.com/914reg/
RiqueMar
Thanks for all the input guys. Just dropped off the motor at European Motorsports in Vista. Joe there confirmed it is, in fact, an S Engine. So this is definitely a nice find, and may go in my Dads car, as he is going in a more retro direction.

Tom, this engine came out of a /6, but not my Dads /6, it was a previous one that I believe was too far gone.
SLITS
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 8 2010, 02:13 PM) *

Thanks for all the input guys. Just dropped off the motor at European Motorsports in Vista. Joe there confirmed it is, in fact, an S Engine. So this is definitely a nice find, and may go in my Dads car, as he is going in a more retro direction.

Tom, this engine came out of a /6, but not my Dads /6, it was a previous one that I believe was too far gone.

I've always wanted to meet an excellent mechanic with X-Ray vision.
jmill
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 8 2010, 07:00 PM) *

I've always wanted to meet an excellent mechanic with X-Ray vision.

You can see the tensioners have been upgraded. Someones been in there. Slits and the Cap'n are right about the heads. You'll have to mic the ports to see if they've been opened up to 36/35. The mechanic could have scoped the plug holes to check for S pistons.
popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
my guess
the cylinders are 2.7, so now the case hase been bored ?
RiqueMar
My fault for not being specific. He confirmed that the engine numbers identify it as an 'S' engine. I'm waiting to hear about a more in depth response.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.