Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust heat shield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
As the engine and trans are out of the 914T, I was planning to get rid of the exhaust heat shield, save a few pounds, maybe make room for some sort of hitch thing?

For those who have been there, done that, whats the right/easy way to do this, as I'm sure left to my own tools and devices, I'd end up picking the wrong/hard way.

Pictures would be nice also.

Thanks-
rick 918-S
I don't know how your planning to do it but if you end up cutting out the trunk floor with the heat sheild the brackets will remain intact. Then you could donate the sheild to me. biggrin.gif I lost the one for the Raspberry car. confused24.gif I just placed an ad in the classifieds looking for a good one with brackets.
realred914
Some very early cars had bolt on heat sheild. later ones welded.
benalishhero
I drilled out the spot welds.

I reattached it with nuts and bolts in case I want to take it down again.
VaccaRabite
just cut the brackets as close to the trunk as you can. Mine lives in my attic.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 8 2010, 05:59 AM) *

I don't know how your planning to do it but if you end up cutting out the trunk floor with the heat sheild the brackets will remain intact. Then you could donate the sheild to me. biggrin.gif I lost the one for the Raspberry car. confused24.gif I just placed an ad in the classifieds looking for a good one with brackets.

I was just going to post that Rick needed the heat shield!
... but it sounds like you two found each other on your own-somes! grouphug.gif
biggrin.gif
ottox914
Rick- I'm hoping to get the motor finished saturday, installed and break in done sunday. You're welcome to come by saturday anytime and bring any tools of moderate destruction and remove the heat shield for the berry car...

Mine is welded in, so I may go after the drill the spot welds out plan and see how that goes. Unless Rick has a hack at it.
Rav914
I just drilled the spot welds and pulled it off. I saved the brackets on the car. I plan on making an aluminum shield later.
IronHillRestorations
Your going to need some sort of heat shield, unless you plan on delivering pizzas and using the rear trunk as a warmer!

Are you going with a V8 or Suby?

If you are still going to have a muffler in the stock location you might think about at lease putting some kind of heat reflective mat.
ottox914
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 8 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Your going to need some sort of heat shield, unless you plan on delivering pizzas and using the rear trunk as a warmer!

If you are still going to have a muffler in the stock location you might think about at lease putting some kind of heat reflective mat.

No heat worries- see my sig- turbo type IV. The exhaust goes straight from the kerry hunter into the turbo, and dumps out the back. The heat shield adds weight and takes up space I might need to work out some hitch ideas I have.

Anyone got pics of this process- where to find all the welds, what I'm going up against here? I don't expect its rocket surgery, but the help of the BTDT folks is always appreciated. Do I need a special bit for this, or just pick one thats big enough to get the job done?
rick 918-S
I would love to come down this weekend but I'm working to catch up with my claims so I can take next weekend off with my wife. It's our 29th smlove2.gif on the 18th.

If I were removing the sheild I would just cut the brackets. There are 6 of them I think. If I thought I could find a use for the sheild I would locate the brackets and drill the spot welds from inside the trunk.
markb
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 8 2010, 05:41 PM) *

My 72 didn't have a sheild when I got it, and I've discussed with a number of people about putting in one (since I happen to have one), and was basically told not to bother. I've never had a problem (with the exception of a candy bar "incident" when I had one in my jacket in that trunk sad.gif ). It never gets "too" warm back there to have bothered anything. Of course, YMMV.
campbellcj
I just drilled, hacked and yanked. Came right off.

As with many mods, probably not something I would do on a street car without good reason (such as an engine swap).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.