Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
I might be shipping the 914 soon. has anyone here used a shipping company that they were pleased with?

I have gotten several quotes on the internet ranging from 700-1100 for the range I'm looking at... with 800-850 being most common.

so, who have you used? any issues? cost?
tod914
Intercity for enclosed carrier. Last time when I used them, they were running a special. I would think they would price match (within reason) other carriers. Craig at Camp knows of a good carrier too. Don't recall the name. Maybe PM him. Intercity was several hundred cheaper at the time.
1970 Neun vierzehn
I also used Intercity. They quoted me a really good price, and kept me apprised when 1)car was picked up, 2)car left shipping point, 3)car was scheduled to arrive, 4)car was about an hour from destination (my house). Not having used anyone else, I can't compare their service to anyone else's, but I was very happy with the level of service, care, and competence that they displayed.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
....home at last
tod914
Wayne, just a suggestion. Might want to get the car your shipping insurred with a zero dedectable prior to shipment. Had a problem with Dependable in the past, and had to use my own insurance to get the car fixed.
Jake Raby
Eart Auto Movers.. Talk to Danielle Cox, tell her I sent you.
We ship lots of cars and have dealt with lots of shitty shippers both cheap and expensive. Danielle will make sure you are taken care of, the car is taken care of and the driver is respectful and on time. She bent over backwards to help one of my long time customers yeaterday.

Their prices are usually very competetive, they are now the ONLY shipper that we ship with...
tornik550
I've used DAS and was quite happy. The car that I was shipping did not need an enclosed carrier. I shipped from San Diego to Ohio. To my surprise, they arrived 3 days early.
Mike Bellis
I used Kiwi Karriers (Seattle WA) twice. Open carry. $700 from Austin TX to San Francisco. No problems at all. They go all over the country. Best deals to be had around Pebble Beach concorse. Many trucks from all over going everywhere.
Vysoc
I shipped my 911SC Weissach from Salt Lake City to SW Florida in 2004 with DAS. The car was not shipped enclosed, the charge was around $800.00. Communication was fair to midland, but I did recieve the car. Not a glowing endorsement. Price was very reasonable for the distance.

Vysoc confused24.gif
Spoke
I used A Across USA Auto Transport and was quite happy with them.

They shipped my 911 from Colorado to PA in 4 days without transferring through a terminal. It was an open carrier and cost $775.

I placed the order on Saturday and the car was picked up on Monday morning and delivered to my house Thursday night. I was given the driver's cell phone number and I talked to him several times during transit.

Check this site for transport reviews. I used this to narrow down to A Across USA Auto Transport.

Transport Reviews
tat2dphreak
wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

Wayne, just a suggestion. Might want to get the car your shipping insurred with a zero dedectable prior to shipment. Had a problem with Dependable in the past, and had to use my own insurance to get the car fixed.

thanks I'll look into that, currently it's insured with hagerty, but I need to know if something happens that I'll be covered.
EdwardBlume
I used DAS back in 2001 and while results vary they got my low mile 993 from Austin to LA without a hitch...
nsr-jamie
Where are you going to ship the car? I see you live in Texas, but not sure where you want to send it unless I misread your past posts...I shipped a 914 from West Canada to Japan for $1500 dollars and it took 3 weeks to arrive and had no problems...I can give you the shipping companies details if you need.....
tat2dphreak
the potential buyer is in Calgary, Canada, but we are looking to ship it to Montana because most of the trucking companies I've talked to aren't willing to take it all the way... and the ones that are will are prohibitively expensive because of the customs associated with transporting the car into Canada.

I still need to call Jake's suggestion, but intercity said they do not transport to Great Falls, MT, typically, so I am waiting on a call from them to discuss options.... since it doesn't HAVE to be great falls, MT, that was just a close point to Calgary.
windforfun
FedEx. No shit. They're a little $$$, but their service was excellent.
IronHillRestorations
I've also used Kiwi with good results, but it's been over 5 years.
Silverstreak
Try uship.com , you put in exactly what kind of service you're looking for and the shippers send bids to you. I'd only use one that has a reputable web site and insurance etc.
Pat Garvey
When Ferg bought my 911 he sent Lamb Transport to pick the car up.

It wasn't running and we had to push it out backwards from the garage, turn it & send it down to the loading platform. Driver used utmost care (fleece gloves & a pair for me to help). Loaded & locked down, he gave me a preview of the others in the van, including a Nova 427 drag racer bound for Australia (gorgeous!).

What I also liked about Lamb was that there were no markings on the van. No signals to road pirates that there were megabuck vehicles inside.

Don't know what the cost from Philly to Colorado was, but Ferg seemed to be good with it.

I'll use them to get my teener to Cleveland later this year.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.