Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
i couldn't find any information on how to adjust or replace the side mirror and i didn't wanna just start unscrewing it incase those screws had bolts on the back and i lost those in the door panel when they fell.
do you just unscrew or do you have to take the panel off?
mirror doesn't adjust because its rusted or too tight.
plas76targa
you can unscrew the screws. the 'nuts' they thread into are welded into the fender. (assuming you have stock mirrors)

once the mirror is removed turn it over and look down the 'barrel' there is a nut inside. remove that and the two half barrells, clean them all up with cleaner and perhaps a 3m pad. lubricate with a tiny amount of white lithium grease, reassemble and tighten nut just enough to allow adjustment moves. Re-install on door.

my $.02
mipstien
perfect thanks ill take care of it now smile.gif
plas76targa
one last note - you may find you'll need a very thin walled socket to reach that nut in the mirror. and the nut is odd size like 8mm 0r 9mm.
914Sixer
I recommend putting some PB Blaster on the nut and letting it soak a little bit. If you get in a hurry, the pot metal has been known to break leaving the mirror useless. You can also take the plastic trim(AA has new ones if you break it)off the mirror and remove the glass. Remove plastic liner and spray the pivot nut.
windforfun
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 8 2010, 01:17 PM) *

I recommend putting some PB Blaster on the nut and letting it soak a little bit. If you get in a hurry, the pot metal has been known to break leaving the mirror useless. You can also take the plastic trim(AA has new ones if you break it)off the mirror and remove the glass. Remove plastic liner and spray the pivot nut.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Tom_T
Well since everybody already answered your Q -
... then when you're done, add one of these -

http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf%5...;dept%5Fid=4077

biggrin.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 8 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Well since everybody already answered your Q -
... then when you're done, add one of these -

http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf%5...;dept%5Fid=4077

biggrin.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
johannes
There is a thread about that in the classics (pictures on page 2)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42362

mipstien
i was concerned about the pictures too much. its pretty straight forward but even after getting mine off and pulled the bolt and spring out it was really tough to do anything with it. apparently over time and vibration the spring had pushed that tightening 'cone' piece up really far and made it hard to get it out. it did eventually come out and i understand now how the mechanism works. simple design.

so anyways after pulling it is it better to tighten it down or make it loose so it can be moved a little. my g/f and i will both drive this car and she needs the seat quite a bit up and i need it all the way back. im sure i can manage if it moves a little while driving both of my motorcycle mirrors do also.
EdwardBlume
After cleaning it, I wouldn't leave it loose, otherwise it might adjust itself on you... reassemble and see if it works OK...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.