Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early or Late Gas Tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914Sixer
My creamsicle came in a basket with an early tank. VIN is 15585 (Feb 74). I am thinking it should have the late tank. Anybody know? Pictures?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 9 2010, 06:05 AM) *

My creamsicle came in a basket with an early tank. VIN is 15585 (Feb 74). I am thinking it should have the late tank. Anybody know? Pictures?

late with the black screw on cap. The matsuda black and yellow car has the steel cap and the old tank but it was obviously not a us spec car. Should be after feb 1974 production that they all had the black screw on caps
JeffBowlsby
Hey Mark, George,

I think you mean the expansion tank?

All LEs are the same in this respect, they have the early tank with the metal filler cap. In fact the only changes I have noticed over the LE range is some of the later VIN LEs have the salt & pepper carpet, vs the charcoal loop and the front targa clips in the rear trunk are mounted with bolts or rivets.

Here is 15650 with chassis number from the 3rd week of March for example:
JeffBowlsby
But there is more from the secret LE files. First photo below is 16695 with a chassis date of April 5. Second photo is VIN 16760, thats the latest LEs I have tank photos of. All are early tanks.

biggrin.gif
jonferns
My '74 has a build date in March and also has an early tank.
914Sixer
Ok, I will go with the early expansion tank. I was with George on this one at first but I was not sure. I cut up a May 74 production car last month and it had the plastic expansion tank. It must have been one of those when ever changes.

Jeff you are correct about the riveted top clips. Carpet in car was the later 75-76 wide pattern in brown.
Pat Garvey
So...what is the FUEL tank color? Black, or gray black? Curious.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.