Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back-Dating Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
When back-dating bumpers, what steps should I take to locate and drill holes for the proper location, both front and back on my '75?

I noticed on the front that when viewing from the inside of the fender there are some holes stamped into the inside layer of the double layered sheet metal in that area. Are these the appropriate locations for the front?

I've held the bumper against the front of the car, but I fail to see a reliable method of locating where I should drill. Same goes for the rear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andys
jim_hoyland
Some recommend attaching the dog bones to the bumper, then coat the dog bone with some water base paint. Press up against the body and you should have it. Make the holes a little larger so you end up with wiggle room.
ConeDodger
Best method in my opinion is to get an early car and take off the bumper. Then using tape with the edges located on common landmarks on both cars, mark the holes on the tape. Then, transfer the tape to the body of your car and place it according the the common landmarks. Then drill the holes. Dog bones should then be taped in place and the bumpers bolted on.

For this method, you need a willing friend with an early car. biggrin.gif
Tom
Craig at Camp 914 did a thread on this some years back. Maybe you can find by searching. I had no luck, but I remember reading it. I have 916 front and rear, but decided to stay stock looking for now.
Slight hi-jack, anyone interested in 916 bumpers? smile.gif
Tom
andys
So I take it that those single layer pre-stamped holes I see from the inside (front) are not a guide? Tape or perhaps a pencil rubbing from an early car would do it.

Andys
jpnovak
I just mounted a 916 style fiberglass front bumper. I drilled through the two stamped indents and they were aligned very well. Of course, I have custom brackets that were modeled from stock early brackets. YMMV.

jim_hoyland
Here's the link:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0bones&st=0
davesprinkle
Hey Jim, did you do this mod? You should take a new pic and update your avatar.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jul 9 2010, 07:31 PM) *

Hey Jim, did you do this mod? You should take a new pic and update your avatar.

I have all the parts but 2 small pieces for the rear. Everything is ready to go, just need to schedule the project.
siverson
Whew - for a second I thought someone was trying to add bumper tits to tit-less bumpers!

-Steve
andys
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 9 2010, 04:32 PM) *

Jim,

Thanks for finding that link. I know it's not an exact science, but there are no really good hard refernce points to measure from though I suppose good enough is just that!

Thanks everyone.....

Andys
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(andys @ Jul 10 2010, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 9 2010, 04:32 PM) *

Jim,

Thanks for finding that link. I know it's not an exact science, but there are no really good hard refernce points to measure from though I suppose good enough is just that!

Thanks everyone.....

Andys

If you test fit the bumper to the body with the dog bones attached to the bumper and wet=painted, you should get a near perfect imprint of the hole locations. This is a two man job, but should get you within a few mm of the correct location. Then you can compare to the pics in the thread.

Post pics of the project, this is a pretty cool mod smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Just did this to a 75 two weeks ago. I taped the dog bones to the bracket on the bumper, held the bumper in place, and traced the dogbones thru the foglight opening. Then drilled the holes. They lined up perfectly to the pre stamped holes inside the fender. Next time I will just drill thru the stamped spots and go for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.