Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strong window cranks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FourBlades

My windows are a little reluctant to go back up and the knob on the end of the
window crank is always popping off. Where do I find a strong window crank that
will fit on a 914 regulator? An all metal one would be nice.

John
turboman808
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 9 2010, 12:12 PM) *

My windows are a little reluctant to go back up and the knob on the end of the
window crank is always popping off. Where do I find a strong window crank that
will fit on a 914 regulator? An all metal one would be nice.

John

I got some off ebay from a vw parts guy. They fit very nice.

Seems that there might be some sort of bushing inside the window I may need to replace.
pilothyer
John....You should be able to get good window cranks in the classified section FS / WTB. However it sounds like you need to remove the inner door panels and lubricate all the moving parts of the mechanism, while in there lube the locking parts as well. You will be amazed how well they will work after this.
TheCabinetmaker
They are a vw part. Oreilly's and the rest carry them and they are better than the oem.
bandjoey
Picked up a pair at PepBoys. VW but exact fit and style.
McMark
I bet you have new outer window squeegees. Here's a trick, get some baby powder (or other talc) and apply it to the inside, where it hits the window. It gets everywhere, but it cleans up easily. New seals are too 'sticky' and grab the glass. I use baby powder all the time on seals that slide.
FourBlades
Mark,

You are right, they are brand new channel seals. I never would have thought
baby powder would work but I will try it.

I am going to check out vw cranks. Someone must make some cool looking all
metal ones.

John

NORD

So Cal Speed Shop has after market window cranks.

Some of them are very nice but they do cater to the

Hot Rod Builders driving.gif
tat2dphreak
I've got Billet VW cranks... work good smile.gif
underthetire
I had the same problem with some cheapo ones. Remove the center of the little knob, put a small dab of GOOD super glue on the rivet, and press them back in. Pop cap back on and all is good, until they break the actual handle when you need to roll up your window to lock the car at the grocery store.
jk76.914
I'm using early 911 cranks. Got them on eBay. Minor mod needed, but it's quick and they fit perfectly afterwards. 911 crank is in the back in the first 2 pics. Later ones were all black instead of chrome and black. If you want the VW cranks in the front, they're yours for $5 shipping (I think I can lay my hands on them). They're brand new.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Jim,

I am using the lower ones in your pictures. The knob at the end keeps popping
off....

I baby powdered the seals and they work a little easier now.

Billet sounds good, no plastic.

Thanks,

John

tat2dphreak
Billet sounds good, no plastic.

yep, they are empi but still billet, I think they were $20 for the pair on vwparts.net or somewhere like that
jaxdream
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 9 2010, 04:29 PM) *
I'm using early 911 cranks. Got them on eBay. Minor mod needed, but it's quick and they fit perfectly afterwards. 911 crank is in the back in the first 2 pics. Later ones were all black instead of chrome and black. If you want the VW cranks in the front, they're yours for $5 shipping (I think I can lay my hands on them). They're brand new.

If you don't mind what was the minor mod you did ??? idea.gif
Jack / Jaxdream
jk76.914
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jul 10 2010, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 9 2010, 04:29 PM) *

I'm using early 911 cranks. Got them on eBay. Minor mod needed, but it's quick and they fit perfectly afterwards. 911 crank is in the back in the first 2 pics. Later ones were all black instead of chrome and black.

If you don't mind what was the minor mod you did ??? idea.gif
Jack / Jaxdream

Sorry, I should have given the link--- http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=99545

The 911 spline has the correct number of teeth, and the major diameter is fine, but the ID is smaller on the 911 crank (teeth are deeper), Also the splined depth is deeper on the 911 crank, so it has to be relieved of splines entirely for about the first 3/16". So I drilled it out carefully on my drill press as follows:

Use a 27/64" drill bit, and drill down to the shoulder at the bottom of the spline. Then use a 7/16" bit and drill about 3/16" down into the spline. Last step- take a tiny triangular file and clean up the burrs covering the splines, and sharpen them while you're at it. Takes a few test fits and more filing, but it'll eventually fit nicely. It's hard to mess up if you measure carefully and set your drill press stops. The casting is farily soft and drills easily. I think I just hand held it on a piece of wood.

jaxdream
Thanks jk76.914 , I've eyeballed these winders for some time on the evil-bay place , wondered if they would fit . Now i know !!!! Thanks for the thread link , musta missed it back then . Should go in the classics thread , if it is'nt already there. aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.