Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch adjustmetn problem 74 six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Long story but I need to eliminate solutions for readers.
74 914-6 3 liter
Two track events ago clutch started acting funny and shifts were wierd so pulled off. CLashed gears ....so turned off ,put in gear and key started....after a few adjustments with what appeared t obe a stretched cable, removed and replaced clutch cable.....Could find no stretching in remove cable and was able to adjust to make it work but seemed to consume most of the adjustment to get clutch action.

Chapter 2:
Went home removed everything expecting bad pivot ball or clutch etc.....All ok.

Chapter 3:
Next track event trans issue but unrelated to clutch.....(Slider for 1st gear out of adjustment) so shop pulled all to go in and adjust. Upon reassembly and test drive wierd clutch issue resurfaced and standard assumptions disproved after everything was disassembled.
Shop has ruled out pivot ball, pedal cluster etc., clutch tube.....and it is back apart without a clear culprit.
Trying to help them get to root of issue in hopes someone has something to suggest. Thanks for anything that might be work investigating.
Terry
VaccaRabite
There is a tube that the clutch cable goes through in the tunnel. They are welded in place, and the welds can break. this gives you a feeling of a stretched cable, but this issue is a broken weld in the tunnel.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
I'd suggest very close inspection of the clutch tube at the fire wall. I've seen ones that were failing, but it wasn't easy to see it.

If it wasn't apart I'd say get it on a lift and have someone push the pedal while closely watching the firewall and then the clutch fork.

I guess it's also possible that the diaphram spring has been sprung and it will never fully disengage, but I have never seen that first hand.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jul 10 2010, 10:54 AM) *

Long story but I need to eliminate solutions for readers.
74 914-6 3 liter
Two track events ago clutch started acting funny and shifts were wierd so pulled off. CLashed gears ....so turned off ,put in gear and key started....after a few adjustments with what appeared t obe a stretched cable, removed and replaced clutch cable.....Could find no stretching in remove cable and was able to adjust to make it work but seemed to consume most of the adjustment to get clutch action.

Chapter 2:
Went home removed everything expecting bad pivot ball or clutch etc.....All ok.

Chapter 3:
Next track event trans issue but unrelated to clutch.....(Slider for 1st gear out of adjustment) so shop pulled all to go in and adjust. Upon reassembly and test drive wierd clutch issue resurfaced and standard assumptions disproved after everything was disassembled.
Shop has ruled out pivot ball, pedal cluster etc., clutch tube.....and it is back apart without a clear culprit.
Trying to help them get to root of issue in hopes someone has something to suggest. Thanks for anything that might be work investigating.
Terry

dr914@autoatlanta.com
did you inspect the tube in the front and in the rear?
pilothyer
You may need to shim out the pivot ball itself, by adding a washer under it. This will change the geometry especially in cases where the flywheel has been cut down.....however don't overlook the possibility of your clutch cable tube being loose..... the broken front weld will allow it to move laterally. If it is loose at the front, later when the weld at the rear turns loose the entire tube will be pushed inward. You would need to push (or pull) it back out of the firewall and reweld it in place front and rear.
J P Stein
What the doctor said....
It is fairly common for the clutch tube to break loose from the tunnel at the forward attach point . Pop the inspection cover up front and look for yourself.

"Slider for 1st gear out of adjustment"...........Hummm, interesting.
sixaddict
JP: I may not have stated issue with 1st gear correctly but saw it first hand ....reason for opening box was shifting problem. then found bad pinion

Most have stated tube and that has been inspected vigorously.....Did shim pivot..
SHop has pulled trans more than once ...No glory or profit in that.

Thanks for info Dr may be correct.

TOT

ote name='J P Stein' date='Jul 11 2010, 04:41 AM' post='1342107']
What the doctor said....
It is fairly common for the clutch tube to break loose from the tunnel at the forward attach point . Pop the inspection cover up front and look for yourself.

"Slider for 1st gear out of adjustment"...........Hummm, interesting.
[/quote]
Cap'n Krusty
Look at the roll pin in the clutch pedal cross shaft.

The Cap'n
eimc
Like the Cap'n said take a good look at the clutch pedal cross shaft rollpin it's twisted or partly broke.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.