Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
my idle voltage is around 13.3-13.4 and my at load votlage is around 13.5-13.7
is that anything to worry about? possibly regulator on the way out? seems just a little low. i know 13.8-14 are about where it SHOULD be but i just wanna make sure so i don't get stranded.
the voltmeter in the car just started to show around 12-13 instead of the consistant 13.5+ that it was hovering around. i know its not perfect nor 100% accurate but that concerned me after the car was good and hot it dropped the voltage which is why i checked it with a multimeter.
just a few concerns.
realred914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 10 2010, 09:48 AM) *

is that anything to worry about? possibly regulator on the way out? seems just a little low. i know 13.8-14 are about where it SHOULD be but i just wanna make sure so i don't get stranded.
the voltmeter in the car just started to show around 12-13 instead of the consistant 13.5+ that it was hovering around. i know its not perfect nor 100% accurate but that concerned me after the car was good and hot it dropped the voltage which is why i checked it with a multimeter.
just a few concerns.

I say if you detected a change from normal in voltage, something is happening and could be wrong. try this, put teh battery (remove ground strap ) on an overnight charge to get it fully up with no leakage to the car. then see what volts you got at battery, then hook it up to the car and see if it changes, then drive it and see if the battery returns to its highest voltage from the over night charge. if the voltage is much less after driving than after an over night charge, then suspect you have a charging system probelm or voltage leakage some place in the car.

good luck
mipstien
i do know that i have a 'leak' somewhere just can't figure out where cause after about 3 days of sitting it barely wants to start up. but ill try the full charge thing and see what happens. thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
below 13.1 when idling and everything turned off is the minimum.

QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 10 2010, 09:48 AM) *

just a few concerns.

mipstien
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 10 2010, 01:06 PM) *

below 13.1 when idling and everything turned off is the minimum.

so probably not an issue? but i should still keep an eye on it just in case. also that 'idle' is around 300 or so cause it wasn't idling perfect when i checked it. im probably just worried for nothing just trying to be cautious.
underthetire
You may simply have a battery going south. When my regulator started to fail, I was seeing spikes in voltage, up and down.
Mike Bellis
You will not get a good reading from a 35 year old electrical system. Take your readings directly from the battery terminals with a digital volt meter. Your idle speed needs to be closer to 900rpm. You should have maximum voltage above 1500 rpm.

Wire has a life span. Any corrosion will cause a voltage drop across the wiring. Even if your wiring looks good and the insulation is pliable, there is corrosion inside do to plastic being porous. You should put new battery cables on every few years even if they look OK. Beacuse Porsche installed wire sizes barely adequate for the charging system (typical industry practice) it is very difficult to get an accurate reading from any wire at the fues panel. It is normal for and old system like ours to show voltage drops on the dash gauge when turning on any accessory. Especialy turn signals.

The best thing you can do to improve your charging system is to upgrade the charging wires. Change the alternator charge wire to a number 4 copper conductor. Add a couple more ground wires from the battery negative to the chassis and from the battery negative to the engine block. Change the positive cable to the starter to a number 2 copper wire.

After this, go to every ground lug connection on the body and wire wheel the metal until its shiny. This is extreemly helpful at the headlights and near the fuse panel. Dont forget the one near the relay board. Short of rewiring your car with larger wire, these steps will really help your system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.