Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Mitsubishi Eclipse Timing belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
Anyone know If the timing belt can be changed with the engine in the car. It looks impossible. I think I have to pull it out first. 1991 Mitsubish Eclipse 2.0 DOHC
70_914
Probably have to remove the motor mount. Shouldn't need to remove the engine.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:58 AM) *

Probably have to remove the motor mount. Shouldn't need to remove the engine.

That's what I thought too. The timing cover cant be removed due to pullys in the way. Crank pully can't be accessed from the fender well. the whole thing is up against the strut tower. Not enough room under the car to get the crank pully off. Think I just have to suck it up and yank it.
BMXerror
I've done it on my '97 with the same engine (and a 2001 3.0 V6), but I don't know what the fender space is like on the '91. On the '97 the front mount is two pieces: a lower piece that bolts to the engine, and an upper piece that bolts to the frame up in front of the strut. The way I did it is remove the top side of the front motor mount and unbolt the torque mount (front of the car) and put the engine on a jack. Then you can raise and lower the engine somewhat depending on what you're trying to get to.
To get the lower casting of the front motor mount out I had to raise the engine slightly and maneuver the casting around (after unbolted) to where I could slip the long bolts out one by one on the top side through the opening left by the, now removed upper portion of the front mount. It's a manhandle-type job and it helps if you get angry with it, but it can be done with the engine in the car... at least on a '97. Hope that helps.
Mark D.
BMXerror
P.S. If it's the same as my motor, you will also need a gear puller with a center-to-center type extension to pull the crank pulley. I just used a piece of bar stock with a center-drilled end on it and slipped it in bore on the crank pulley before mounting the gear puller. This is assuming you have the same pulley and the crankshaft is set back from the face of the pulley about 2-3".
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.