Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leather
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&PGirl
How many sq. ft. of leather does it take to recover the seats, the complete center console including the gauge panel & heat lever/shifter panel, both door panels, the center cushion and the sun visors?

In addition, how many sq. ft. does it take to redo the dash pad and knee pad?

How many sq. ft. are need to do the roll bar, the upper padding (#914 555 047 12), the lateral padding for upper, and the padding lateral for roll bar?

gary g

ohoooo,so depressed,
was hoping for a lether outfit for A&P Girl

Gary lol-2.gif
Lennies914
I'd geuss about two cows. biggrin.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 10 2010, 02:26 PM) *

I'd geuss about two cows. biggrin.gif

Actually it would take 2 cowhides, I have one now and have had others, it is the way to go if your serious about doing all that.. Cow hides vary in cost and styles, You do not need one with neck hole! I have picked up my last one that was stated as for Porsche/Mercedes and it cost me $70 via Ebay but it can go up from there, make sure you not only check for the grain patteren you want (research in google) but also the thickness, also check the reverse dye as well, (my first hide was beautiful on front but the reverse was blood red (dracula) and I thought if that ever gets cut or deep scratched it is going to look murdered.. Also understand that thicker is not always better as it is difficult to work with.. anything futher on question regarding what your wanting to do I would contact Morph/Nathan at Appearance and Performance.. He uses hides as well and could give you more in depth as to your project..
A&PGirl
Are we talking about 48 sq. ft. per cow?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Jul 10 2010, 06:52 PM) *

Are we talking about 48 sq. ft. per cow?

Thats about right of usable material.. They come with all the trimmings, ect. optional neck hole.. but I just measured mine to be sure 6 x 9 ft. single rectangluar piece can be taken out of it.. some cows are bigger than others, some people mothers are bigger than other peoples mothers... I think my last one had a 6 x 8 ft. piece I got into..
A&PGirl
So, (2) 6x9 cows which equals 108sq. ft. total is enough to do the seats, door panels, sunvisors, center console, dash & knee pad +plus the other padded pieces?

I found some very gorgeous euro upholstery leather at our local leather shop. The hides suppose to be 4-5oz thick.

The shop is closed today, but I'll be there when they open tomorrow to get the leather.

The color a surprise. shades.gif

kerensky
My stepfather does custom upholstery. He did boats for years (along with cars 'on the side') and now does aircraft for a company that renovates planes for high end clients. He's been telling me that they make good synthetic leather that he prefers to use - works and wears better, lasts longer, and is cheaper.

Yeah, I am normally skeptical. They said vinyl was better than leather, too, and look how well that turned out. wink.gif But I do trust Carl's expertise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.