Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Room painting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
I was over the *new* house and painted the ceiling today. Used my 2.5 Gallon pressure sprayer (Like this one) and had a lot of over spray. Anyone use one of these before? I had the regulator on the compressor set to 50Lbs. and the regulator on the pot set at about 20Lbs. Should I up the pot pressue to match the compressor? I'm sure the wife would appreciate me getting some good advice before I have to spend another 2 hours cleaning up latex overspray dust dry.gif

Thanks!
Mike
Tom_T
Mike, those airless sprayers at Lowes/Home Depot actually work better for the house spray jobs - esp. the latex based interior & exterior house paints. Just make sure to clean the sprayer & nozzles thoroughly per their intructions.

Overspray will still happen, but you'll find the investment in a few rolls of blue tape & disposable poly drop cloths (light wt. in most areas, a little heavier wt. where you'll walk), & some time to tape up everything & seal the room off from the rest of the house well worth the effort! Keep the outside windows open & mask off out there too, & wear a respirator. Clean-up will then consist of pulling off the poly & tape, so long as you spend the time to thoroughly prep/mask.
Sparky
Thanks Tom I've got both types of sprayers. I've only used the Wagner backpack set for staining the outside of the house in the past. Didn't notice overspray then. I tarped and taped the best I could, yesterday was ceilings today is walls. I'm pretty sure the pressure was a bit high. Today I'm dropping the pressure down and will use a couple of poly drops to seal off the doorways. I have a good sized cathedral ceiling and running up and down the scaffolding to refill paint trays was not an appealing thought!
TheCabinetmaker
2 gallon pots with an air compressor, known as convential spray, are no good for painting the inside of a house. They are used for furniture finish work and auto painting. You need an airless or just roll it on. Even house painters who spray latex on drywall still follow it with a roller. Your wagner will still give over sray and runs. I do not recommend spraying latex. Get an 18" roller and pan and go to town.
VaccaRabite
Once you have done the prep, rolling will take the same amount of time as spraying.

Zach
PRS914-6
agree.gif totally. Good quality rollers (not the cheap bargain pack) can paint a room in fast order with minimal preparation, masking and cleanup. I usually spray outside and roll inside. The exception would be an empty house

Usually when you spray, you have to immediately follow with a roller anyway if you want a nice finish
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.