Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spending the day with Orangina on a lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
So I have Cooper Boggs (husband of OCR President Nicole) cleaning my undercarriage. Pounds of crap is coming off (it's a clean driver with 107K on it) and I start to fix little things.

Got the bellows wire back onto the wheel. Removed the frame and did not touch the wire or the wheel. Big good thing. Bellows frame goes on and off with 10mm bolts, rather than touching the wheel bolt, which goes into the engine oil area. By simply taking off the bellows and frame and still attached to the wire, getting it on the wheel, then stretching the bellows back onto the 2 bellows frame bolts in the engine case, I got it back on with almost no effort!

Put a new cup in the shift plate coupling. The old one was basically dissolved. The new one means no more looking for gears. All the other fittings were done, but this one was easy by removing the allen nut and popping the new one onto the ball then the coupler back onto the shift rod. Coupling came RIGHT off the shift rod! THIS WAS BIG GOOD! OH MAN I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE HOW GOOD SHE SHIFTS NOW!!!!!

Helicoiled the speedo assembly pin bolt back into the speedo and lubed the new o ring again. PO stripped the bolt and did a really crappy heli job years ago, and it was fix it or have the entire speedo assembly fall out on the road along with my 90W lube. This was good, but it should never have been stripped out in the first place. After taking it out once, I put it back but felt the heli flexing from a bad install. We got this one right almost the first try. Used only one coil, but put it in backwards and tapped off the end into the speedo channel, dremeling the remaining coil till it was flush with the back end of the tranny bolt hole.

Had to buy a coil kit and 3 bottles of Lucas 90W just to dump the new 90W to get the work done. $50 bucks, but worth it to not lose the parts on the road.

Kudos to Cooper on all of this, as he took breaks in the cleaning rituals to stop and help me. He actually installed the helicoil. We make a good team!

And Cooper also fixed my gas tank that had a return nipple leak. Took the tank out and back in fixed in half a day.

I get Orangina back on Monday night. But when he is done, I have a ton of sanding and black respray on the trailing arms to do.

I will post finishing pics. I have to remember how to reduce the 3MB size to something that fits here. Progress pics are just too big.

John
avidfanjpl
Tom_T
John - 2 thotz!

1 - McMark on here has a retro refit of the speedo angle drive with 2 o-rings. Check the ember vendor threads or PM him. In the long run it will keep tanny oil off the transaxle case Coop is making all purdy for you!

2 - Try downloading this Infranview to downsize your pix - it seems to work pretty good when you use auto-sharpen to cut them to smaller size.

http://www.irfanview.com/

I'm still playing with it, but will post something after I get a few of the "914 Practice Car" (my lids' Honda Civic) that my son & I worked on renovating in 08-09.

Sounds like you're filling the time! biggrin.gif
avidfanjpl
Thanks on both things, Tom!

I have seen his modification, and at some point I will do it. This was about the pin bolt at the back of the tranny. The 1.25mm thread was all gone. And the helicoil that had been installed was loose. I retapped the hole with the case drained and the entire speedo assembly removed. It had to be done, and was not the source of any leak, but it could have led to the entire assembly falling out.

I do have a tiny amount of leakage, but at least now I can safely rely on it not falling out.

The mess on the underside was from the screen on the engine leaking, and I have to get the CV's rebuilt later in the fall.

I am also thinking that it's about time to install a new clutch cable. I got a new one in a bag that came with the car last year, so even though it is an new and original 914-4 cable, I have to decide on whether to do as Dr. 914 says, install a 914-6 cable instead. Have not priced them yet.

And who does the cable work is not clear. Me? Cooper (who does certain types of work) or Skip? I am almost convinced that I can, but maybe can talk Cooper into it. Skip is better saved for things only a real lifetime 914 mechanic can do.

Cooper is amazingly good at a lot of things. The clutch cable in use now is stretched, and although in perfect adjustment, does need replacing to get some slack that will be needed later. The clutch/pp has 7,000 miles on it and is perfect.

DOWNLOADED the software! THANKS!

And she did call to talk. I will talk to her again next week. Not rushing back into anything after last weekend's wonderful fun!

Thanks!

J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.