Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got To Be Another Way
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
I'm headed to a third trip down the drop/change/reinstall lane trying to get a "good" working transmission. I'm far from being able to rebuild one myself and buying/having a rebuild by a pro is not $$$ available for me. So, I've been picking up discards and trying to find one that works on all five gears. I might as well put thumb screw nuts on the engine/trans mounts. My question?? Is there a way to test shifting/gear connect "on the ground" for a side shift transmission? I have setup a "test" model on my work bench with linkage, but can't seem to get a good working model. Help please.

PS Found easier to drop engine with trans than trans only and then get the trans back in by myself.
rick 918-S
How many have you changed?

These transaxles are pretty durable. What are they doing? Not shifting, grinding, popping out of gear?

More details.

I would look at all the shift bushings and clutch cable adjustment and clutch tube. If the shift bushings are bad you can change transaxles all day long and have the same issues.

Also, if the clutch cable is not adjusted with the right tension holding the thowout bearing against the pressure plate you will have trouble getting the transaxle in gear and or shifting. Also the clutch tubes crack the weld at the exit point and also break free inside the tunnel. This will allow the tube to move when your trying to work the clutch. Ends in no joy and sometimes goes un-noticed for months or years. You wouldn't be the first one to think his transaxle was bad as a result of any combination of these problems.
realred914
discarded trannys often where discarded becuase of probelms, rare to discard a great working one. unless it is from a wreck or a car that was parked for other reasons, hence that is what you should look for as the donor car for your tranny a wreck or parted car for other than tranny reasons. as far as bench test, short of driving it or tearing it down to inspect, there is no sure way to predict if the tranny is worn out or not. really is no way

xperu
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ Jul 11 2010, 09:05 AM) *

I'm headed to a third trip down the drop/change/reinstall lane trying to get a "good" working transmission. I'm far from being able to rebuild one myself and buying/having a rebuild by a pro is not $$$ available for me. So, I've been picking up discards and trying to find one that works on all five gears. I might as well put thumb screw nuts on the engine/trans mounts. My question?? Is there a way to test shifting/gear connect "on the ground" for a side shift transmission? I have setup a "test" model on my work bench with linkage, but can't seem to get a good working model. Help please.

PS Found easier to drop engine with trans than trans only and then get the trans back in by myself.

What part of Texas do you live. I just bought the CD's from DR. Evil on transmission rebuilds and they are really well put togetther and easy to follow. My plan is to disassemble the two spares I have and come up with a good rebuild. The transmission in my car is working real well, but I finally learned to make the proper linkage adjustments and installed new bushings. The two spares I have are side shift, what do you have? have you replaced all your bushing and properly adjusted your shift linkage? Mike
jmill
QUOTE(xperu @ Jul 11 2010, 10:55 AM) *

I just bought the CD's from DR. Evil on transmission rebuilds and they are really well put togetther and easy to follow.

agree.gif I was scared as hell to open my trans up. After the video I can't wait. Buy the vid and use all your cores to build a good one. I really can't say enough good things about that video.
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(jmill @ Jul 11 2010, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(xperu @ Jul 11 2010, 10:55 AM) *

I just bought the CD's from DR. Evil on transmission rebuilds and they are really well put togetther and easy to follow.

agree.gif I was scared as hell to open my trans up. After the video I can't wait. Buy the vid and use all your cores to build a good one. I really can't say enough good things about that video.

agree.gif x2

Get the video.....The Evil one walks you through what to look for and how to take care of it. Since you've gone through a couple of cores sounds like you have more than enough parts to make a fine shifting box.

Mike
damnfiknow
I have changed all of the bushings from the firewall back. New disk and good throwout bearing. Replaced the pivot bushing on clutch lever. Cable taught with what seems to be the amt of pedal play described by Haynes. Can't tell that the tube is loose or anything. I have NOT done anything at the shift lever, ie the pinch bolt on the forward linkage not changed. Spooked by warnings everybody makes about this.
The current installed transmission is ok for reverse, 1st (no grind when shifting down) and 3rd and 5th ok. 2nd grinds a bunch, but can be forced to engage. 4th impossible to select--grinds like heck.
One on work bench, ok for reverse, 3rd, 4th and 5th. 1st will engage ONLY at complete stop. Grinds bunch when trying to down shift. 2nd can't be engaged, period.
Rest have been used for boat anchors, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.