Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Autocross makes the Papers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
The local Porsche Club makes the papers finally.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/livi...wwracing08.html
ArtechnikA
cool!

except AX is NOT A FRIGGIN' RACE !!!

'twas called that in a couple-3 places in that article and the accompanying photo captions.
we have a hard enough time getting venues and insurance for these events without people calling them RACES.

'competition' okay. i'm even satisfied that they're 'speed contest' within the current exclusionary language in most insurance policies. but it is not a damned RACE.

(sorry, it's a hot button ...)
SpecialK
Excellent article!

But I didn't hear them refer to autoX as being a "race" anywhere in the text of the article confused24.gif (the only exception being the text below the guy holding the flag: "A flag man stands by on the track in case the race needs to be stopped due to dangerous conditions.")

In fact they differientated between auto racing and autoX, saying autoX was more "family oriented" than racing.
Eric_Shea
It's a race.

Race, race, race, race, race, race! w00t.gif

Doesn't PCA provide insurance for your events? confused24.gif

They do for ours.

It's a race BTW!! laugh.gif

(sorry Rich couldn't resist, it's fun watch'n ya go)
ArtechnikA
" Pam Novak listens to a safety question during the pre-race drivers meeting at the recent Porsche Club of America autocross in Bremerton. "

" A flag man stands by on the track in case the race needs to be stopped due to dangerous conditions. "

" Overseeing the Porsche Club's autocross is Greg Fordahl, a five-time winner of the Sports Car Club of America national championship autocross (his wife, Jodi Fordahl, is a six-time winner). He advises taking a driving class before trying to race "
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 8 2004, 05:43 PM)
Doesn't PCA provide insurance for your events?

read the policy. for even more fun, just -try- to actually get a copy of the policy to read.

PCA doesn't insure -you-.

PCA insures THEMSELVES. PCA insures NONPARTICIPANTS (venue owner, principally.)

if you damage someone, or someone's stuff, or incur damage, you're on your own.

property owners with big plots of land see NASCAR short-track events on the weekends and are horrified that that's going to happen on their lot if they let in those sporty-car people to 'race.'
Eric_Shea
PCA doesn't insure -you-.

Ahhhhhh got it. You don't actually tell your IA you're racing do you?

It's still a race. R-A-C-E race! laugh.gif
reverie
Yeah, that article was in today's paper! smile.gif

A fun read... and who is the guy in the 914?
rhodyguy
it made the paper. i'm not to worried about semantics.

kevin
EdwardBlume
Not worrkied about the semantics? Ask your insurance if its OK to race your 914.
EdwardBlume
Actually, don't. They'll drop your coverage.
Bleyseng
Nope, I just go to club events! no racing involved at all.
even the title of the page in the URL has "racing" in it...HEHE
rhodyguy
with the coverage, cars will come out of the wood work. you can run any car you want as long as you have $20, an approved helmet, and pass tech. i can hear it now, "at the line is joe in his honda civic". the days are long enough as it is at bremerton. so are we clubing or RACING against the clock?

kevin
Bleyseng
No, to run you must either have a Porsche, be a PCA member or be sponsored by a member.
To run a non P car you must be a member or be sponsored by one. This is to keep the numbers down otherwise the other guys would flood out events as theirs are overcrowded now.

They do let some in from time to time. I sponsored Steve when he ran the RX7turbo2 car out there. Now that was funny listening to the comments from P guys. Steve is shooting 3 foot flames out the tailpipe! "WTF, does that thing have a afterburner?" "Well, the track is warmed up now" "I don't think I'll tailgate behind that thing"

Geoff
rhodyguy
go to work laugh.gif . did you get my pm last night? there have been fiestas , caddys, corvettes. none the less, i think there will be alot more cars.

kevin
Bleyseng
Like I said they are sponsored (friends) of members. We have turned away the Honda guys before although last year about 10 of them showed up on a slow day and we let them run.

Geoff finger.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.