Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering rack seems to bind?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914
I just picked up a complete 911 front end for my 914. Everything seems to be in great shape. It even came with Turbo tie-rods and Elephant P/B bushings.
But the steering rack seems to bind? That is, with out the steering wheel linkage hooked up. I put it up on jacks and it is hard to turn the tire / wheel from side to side.
Any one have any idea what the problem could be? Is there an adjustment that can be made to the rack with it in the car? Or should I go to the trouble of pulling it out and swapping back to the old rack?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jul 11 2010, 02:12 PM) *

I just picked up a complete 911 front end for my 914. Everything seems to be in great shape. It even came with Turbo tie-rods and Elephant P/B bushings.
But the steering rack seems to bind? That is, with out the steering wheel linkage hooked up. I put it up on jacks and it is hard to turn the tire / wheel from side to side.
Any one have any idea what the problem could be? Is there an adjustment that can be made to the rack with it in the car? Or should I go to the trouble of pulling it out and swapping back to the old rack?

Could be a couple things. Start by disconnecting the tie rods at the struts. Could be the ball joints, or upper bearings. One siezing bearing could cause enough resistance to start a real search. If boths sides turn free check the rack.
ruby914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 11 2010, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jul 11 2010, 02:12 PM) *

Could be a couple things. Start by disconnecting the tie rods at the struts. Could be the ball joints, or upper bearings. One siezing bearing could cause enough resistance to start a real search. If boths sides turn free check the rack.

Thanks,
I found the problem.
Looks like somone used mud to lube the rack.
Wonder how it got this way.
sean_v8_914
flood car
sean_v8_914
this was in Chris" steering rack pan area....13lbs. it was solid and completely formed around the rack
Drums66
answer to your first question......no good to begin with! bye1.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jul 12 2010, 08:56 AM) *

flood car

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.