Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: motor mount replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
desmo900rider
I'm replacing the motor mounts this week in my 74. I did it once in a Spitfire, and it was a piece of cake, I'm guessing this will be a bit harder, but looks OK. From what I understand, I need to put a jack under the trans to take the weight off the engine bar,I pull the 2 small bolts in the engine bar where the mounts are, and that frees up the mounts themselves, and then I need to loosen the large bolts on the ends of the engine bar to allow me to get the mounts out. Then screw the new ones in, tighten everything back up, and I should be good, sound about right?

Anything I'm missing? Anybody have any tips?

Thanks!

Mike
type47
This is what I remember, maybe someone will confirm or refute. You put the jack under the engine and very slightly raise the tension off the engine mount bar. Then you remove the top nuts off the engine mounts to disconnect from the bar from the engine. I remember reading to remove the oil filter to get more access. One nut takes some patience with a small ratchet. With the engine supported, remove the bolts and the ends of the bar. Then drop the bar out and re and re the mounts the bolt the bar back to the engine (those top nuts again ar15.gif ). In practice, don't try to lift the car by the engine as it tries to pull apart the engine mounts, that's how I got experience with engine mounts headbang.gif Obey safety precautions as usual.
Jeffs9146
FYI
Obey safety precautions as usual

Those jack stands in your Avatar are a good example of the type of jack stands NOT to use!!!

People who have been here for a long time know the story!!

IronHillRestorations
It's a bit of a hassle with the engine in the car. I've only done it by pulling the powertrain.
Ericv1
I've used 911 motor mounts as replacements for the engine and transmission and they work really well. The shifting is very smooth.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Jul 12 2010, 12:16 PM) *
I've used 911 motor mounts as replacements for the engine

Those only work for early tail-shifter cars.

On late model side-shifter cars, the engine mounts are small rubber mounts that directly mount to the front of the engine ...
shades.gif Andy
burton73
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jul 12 2010, 09:48 AM) *

FYI
Obey safety precautions as usual

Those jack stands in your Avatar are a good example of the type of jack stands NOT to use!!!

People who have been here for a long time know the story!!

Jeff, What jack stands are good and safe?

Bob
Jeffs9146
This type! The others can jump the notch that hold it up and crush you!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.