Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does the cigar inset come out from the dash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Can't seem to figure out how the cigar inset that's mounted to the dash comes out. Rewiring my radio and figured it would be easier to hook up the connections to this with it out.

Thanks, Tod
TheCabinetmaker
Tod, you talking about the ash tray? Push down on the metal piece in the middle rear and pull it out.
tod914
Not the ash tray Curt. The cigarette lighter holder. The piece where the lighter plugs into.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 12 2010, 09:48 AM) *

Not the ash tray Curt. The cigarette lighter holder. The piece where the lighter plugs into.

There's a washer type spring in the back that holds the insert in place. You need to slide it off the back.

It's a pain, but doable ...
smash.gif Andy
realred914
yup a round spring clip is what retains it, it is kind of a one way ratchet desing, got to really bend and pry to remove, but it is doable

Hi VSG!!!!
Jeffs9146
agree.gif

Disconnect the wires and push it from under the dash with the something and it will pop out! The hard part is putting it back in and getting the washer to seat back tight enough! I used a large deep set socket to hold the washer against the underside of the dash and pushed the lighter through the washer from the front! It is hard to do by yourself!
914Sixer
There are two versions on the lighter base. One has the spring washer the other has a spring and a locking base. I will try and get pictures later today.
tod914
Great thanks guys. I'll dig back into it later this afternoon.
914Sixer
Pictures

1st one has spring washer

2nd one has spring and lock ring

biggrin.gif
tod914
Thanks for taking the time to post the shots. I found the problem for the radio. Wires were frayed in one spot. New wires in, good to go now smile.gif
Tom_T
For future ref - unless you need to remove it for dash work/etc., the lighter is such a PITA & often won't seat properly after R&R (or at least not quite the same), that IMHO you're better off leaving it in & working around it to install/troubleshoot the radio - as you've apparently done.
blitZ
Funny this thread should pop up. My lighter doesn't work and I don't have the insert piece. Can these be replaced easily with an aftermarket lighter? I assume they are all the same size.
Eric_Shea
Can these be replaced easily with an aftermarket lighter?

Why... Mark has the "Lost Warehouse" of stock parts. Ask him if he'll sell you the proper one for your car. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.