Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans Gear Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Is synthetic gear oil ok to be used in the transaxle to make it shift easier or is that a no, no?
realred914
the right sythetic is fine, I got about 80K miles on redline sythetic in mine, and that is in a tranny that did not shift well, until I switched oil, it was really like a mechanic in a can. no kidding,

just dont buy any old sythetic, just as you would not buy any old dino gear oil, your tranny has many functions, it is a gear box with requirements for the Porsche style syncronizers, and it is also a differential, with the special needs there. Redline offer many formulas of gear oil they make one specifically for Porsche transaxles (remember you got to lube the gears and the differential)

I'd go to redlines webiste and read up which product to use, i know some time ago they changed some of the names, so I dont want to be quoated wrong, so check the website.

it really is good stuff, solve a very bad shifting clash probelm, plus it is much much eaiser to shift when cold in the winter than before. 80K miles and still that 'dead" tranny is working fine.

good luck
SLITS
It is:

1.) Expensive

2.) Seems to leak out fast.

Ok, I put it in one box and that's what happened. I just use good old 90 wt. Worked for 40 years with no problems.

Others may have opinions that vary.
Cap'n Krusty
Look at the labels or the specs sheets. Porsche requires the use of gear oils meeting the "GL5" specifications. Not GL4, not One-size-fits-all, and definitely NOT anything containing MOSO2 or any other product that claims to be slippery. Friction based synchronizers are NOT fond of slippery, as it prevents their proper operation. Furthermore, even more on the downside, flushing will NOT remove the residue of such products. Replacement of the synchro bands will.

The Cap'n
jimkelly
here is a GL5 label. ( not for limited slip )

must be hypoid - or something like that.

jim

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 12 2010, 05:37 PM) *

Look at the labels or the specs sheets. Porsche requires the use of gear oils meeting the "GL5" specifications. Not GL4, not One-size-fits-all, and definitely NOT anything containing MOSO2 or any other product that claims to be slippery. Friction based synchronizers are NOT fond of slippery, as it prevents their proper operation. Furthermore, even more on the downside, flushing will NOT remove the residue of such products. Replacement of the synchro bands will.

The Cap'n

partwerks
So I just need to make sure it is a GL5 then that I use?
Dr Evil
No synth. For more info, click on the link below for the 31 pg transmission notes.
iamchappy
I've been using Amsoil in my Transmissions since the late 70's, i've never had any problems because of it or rebuilds or leaks, all have worked fine and thats a pretty good test of time and miles, how bad can it be.

Mike i just read your supplement and understand your reasons, i can and even have a nice inline filter that i can use between my transmission cooler and the box.
tuff914
Ok so now you guys have me worried, I also had some trouble shifting
so I added this

http://www.molybond.com.au/index2.php?opti...1&Itemid=73

and this

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Manual_Ge...Diff_Treatment/

along with a quality GL5 oil(castrol), shifts really, really well.
Should I be worried???????

fp racer
I put the cheapest stuff I could find at pepboys in my race trans. It shifted the same as the swepco I took out. I was not going to pay the $59.00 for the sewpco. I read all the threads on this and decided to go the cheap way. I also put $0.99 motor oil with a bottle of zinc in my race motor. Ran it for two races then switched to race oil. No difference in temps or performance.
BigD9146gt
I put top of the line synthetic in my tranny way back when I first got my 914(when I knew nothing about these cars). Stuff came out in less than a week and put in swepco... ever looked back. If I changed my tranny oil the same duration as motor oil, I could understand going cheap. However, 30,40,50 thousand miles before you would need to change it out? Relatively, $60 is not that expensive. I recall Porsche having problems with 935 trannys blowing up under the 24hour mark, and teams trying anything they could to get them to last. Once they switched to swepco, most of the problems went away. not sure how true that story is, i'll ask my friend who was a 935 crew chief at LeMans in the 70's, he might remember.
stephenaki
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2010, 06:36 PM) *

No synth. For more info, click on the link below for the 31 pg transmission notes.

Just read through it, very informative, thanks for doing the write up on it. beerchug.gif
QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Jul 12 2010, 11:12 PM) *

I put top of the line synthetic in my tranny way back when I first got my 914(when I knew nothing about these cars). Stuff came out in less than a week and put in swepco... ever looked back. If I changed my tranny oil the same duration as motor oil, I could understand going cheap. However, 30,40,50 thousand miles before you would need to change it out? Relatively, $60 is not that expensive. I recall Porsche having problems with 935 trannys blowing up under the 24hour mark, and teams trying anything they could to get them to last. Once they switched to swepco, most of the problems went away. not sure how true that story is, i'll ask my friend who was a 935 crew chief at LeMans in the 70's, he might remember.

The above 'story' is what sold me on utilizing Swepco...then I remember Art Zapf and I rebuilt my trans and he mentioned - just put the regular stuff in and change it after every event... in the end it's all up to you. Heck, my daily driver -1983 320i with 135k had shifting hang ups ..I bought Swepco with 'moly'...and it shifts much smoother now.... go figure.
realred914
redline sythetic made all the differeance, great stuff, 80k miles on it, and no leak issues either. the tranny did not shift worth sh*t until I switched to redline, prior to that a full change of stalube gear oil did not resolve the probelm, red line did and it is the correct stuff for the 914 tranny.
Drums66
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jul 13 2010, 08:13 AM) *

redline sythetic made all the differeance, great stuff, 80k miles on it, and no leak issues either. the tranny did not shift worth sh*t until I switched to redline, prior to that a full change of stalube gear oil did not resolve the probelm, red line did and it is the correct stuff for the 914 tranny.

agree.gif Totaly(regular redline is also great)
P.S. some people even pour it over ice cream lol
Root_Werks
Maple Syrup so I have something to put on my pancakes when it leaks out. biggrin.gif
BigD9146gt
So I spoke with my friend who crew chief'd 935's back in the day, and Swepco was it. He recalled standing next to Jerry Woods (long time friends since days of LeMans) and talking about tranny oil and that was the only oil they used. Since then, I agree many others have caught up and still make great oils. Its interesting how different trannys react to different oils (i know its all about how the syncros and dog teeth work)... like how some people work on beer beer.gif , others vodka barf.gif , and me scotch (16yr minimum drunk.gif Lagavulin anyone?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.