Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does 74 911 Rear Brake Setup Bolt on?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I know is a difference in the rear wheel bearing but will it slip in the 914 hole? I will have the hubs and stub axles from the 74 911 so there should be no problem of them mating up.
craig downs
If your talking about the backing plate for the e-brake yes it will fit. You only have to slot the bolt holes a bit.
914Sixer
I was taking about the hub, stub axle and a 74 rear wheel bearing. I thought the e brake set up would work.
jaxdream
Yes the hub will work aktion035.gif , use the 914 , early 69-73 911 bearing - same bearing , on the hub you slip a 5mm thick spacer , then pull the hub with spacer up into the bearing as usual with 914 hub flanges . The 5mm spacer makes up the difference between the 914 bearing and the bearing used on the 74 + 911 which was 5mm wider than the 69-73 911 bearing which as I stated earlier was the same size as 914, hence the usage of the earlier 911 hubs in the 914-6 and the 5 lug conversions . I got my set of spacers ( 2 ) from Patrick Motorsports ( can't recall the part number off the top of my head ), fairly inexpensive . Hub installed as usual with a bearing replacement , freeze bearing , install, let it to come to room temp , then pull in the hub with spacer slid up to the shoulder where the bearing for that setup butted against , wheel side ( hub was frozen also to facilitate install ) , got a 5 lug setup with a hub centric hub , little ears that protrude from the center of hub. The guys that use the earlier 911 hub and the 914 hub can get centering rings from Chris at Tangerine Racing , he makes the ring from delrin and has good success from them . Back to the hub thing , as the 74-89 911 hubs are plentyful nowadays , it seemed the logical way to go, as well as the front hub rotor setup from that year range ( front 5 lug 911 strut setup ) also giving hub centric front and rear wheel hub setups. Good luck ....

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.