Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new flared 73 914 - Weird paint code 98 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so this is my flares 73 I picked up saturday. It is a 73 with a build date of 12/72 & has a strange paint code of 98. That shows a custom porsche color. In the gas compartment I'm guessing that is the original color? Any way to find out what the color is supposed to be?
SirAndy
Another Aubergine car!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors
markb
drunk.gif
You really need to paint his back to stock. Aubergine with flares! Too cool! smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 12 2010, 10:45 PM) *

drunk.gif
You really need to paint his back to stock. Aubergine with flares! Too cool! smile.gif

agree.gif
montoya 73 2.0
thumb3d.gif Great find Jamie!
Tom_T
agree.gif ... if this is another parts car, you keep coming up with keepers Bud! biggrin.gif

IIRC #98 was special order color for any Posrche color on the books, whereas #99 was a paint to match for a customer requested special color not on the books, but they may not have been that strict in the stamping between the two codes.

Other "hidden" areas will confirm if it's Aubergine, & a COA may say which color if it's on the Kardex (most often not apparently).

You could try calling Kristin Rochford at PCNA's COA dept. with your VIN & ask her if she can look up the Kardex for you to see if it's listed - or try an email to her.
Sleepin
You are on a roll to find a Grasshopper locust.gif if you keep this up Jamie!
JRust
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 12 2010, 11:36 PM) *

You are on a roll to find a Grasshopper locust.gif if you keep this up Jamie!

Thats funny you should mention that. Although that doesn't exist from the factory I'm told. That was all owner done. Still the guy that is getting my LE running has one he is going to sale. It's an LE & has the grasshopper look. I planned to buy it after I get me Creamsicle running & sold. Hell who knows though. Not like I haven't given myself more than enough projects. I need to thin the herd sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Wow... how do you find these? Good for you Jamie! smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif Paint it Auberguine. That will make a beautiful flared car.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 12 2010, 08:45 PM) *

drunk.gif

agree.gif

98 code is rare!
BigDBass
Your luck is seriously ridiculous. Keep it rollin'!
JRust
I do plan to get this car going. Originally I was thinking just a dedicated track car. Which is rather dumb as I don't have that much spare time anyway. Much better to have a nice driver that I can take to the track. This has alot of possibilities & is basically stripped allready. I can clean it up & paint it while I figure out what motor I want to put in it. I'll have everything to do another v8 conversion. If the paint code is that rare I hate to bastardize it to much though. I have some time to think on it.

I really need to get rid of a car or 2 though. I'm thinking the LE Bumblebee is a project I may let someone else do. Anybody looking to do a bumblebee resto? I also have my 73 metalic blue roller I need to get rid of. I need to keep to 4 or less 914's at a time blink.gif 6 is just to much. Although one is going bye bye saturday. Th guy is really interested in the LE BB too. So maybe more than one will be going confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Agree... keep two:

1. Nice LE Creamsicle
2. Flared 6 Auberguine

Use the sell-off loot to get the six parts started.
RON S.

I agree here, go Auberdine??. purple will rock.

Ron
watsonrx13
Jamie congratulations on finding another unique 914... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
EdwardBlume
Wow... good for you! My goal is to find a rarish 914 for my next restoration... You are "streets ahead"... beerchug.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Jamie, I would be interested in the BB depending on price. PM me the info. and I also need to talk to you about that 2litre.
charliew
t1 parts were extra I guess.
JRust
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 13 2010, 12:49 PM) *

huh.gif confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
(shroud, fan, etc.)
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 13 2010, 02:52 PM) *
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 13 2010, 12:49 PM) *
huh.gif confused24.gif

There appears to be a T1 fan shroud on the passenger seat ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: Or maybe not. looked again and it looks different. Dunno what that is ...
effutuo101
What is the acutal paint code for this color?
JRust
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jul 13 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Thats a good question. Is the 98 the Aberguine paint code that you would take to get the paint? Or is there a seperate code to get it?
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 13 2010, 05:00 PM) *
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jul 13 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Thats a good question. Is the 98 the Aberguine paint code that you would take to get the paint? Or is there a seperate code to get it?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors (scroll all the way to the bottom for 98 - Aubergine)

L98 or 98 - Custom Porsche Color

The 98 does not tell you anything about the actual color other than the fact that the color is a genuine Porsche color that was otherwise not used on your car model.

More often than not, a 98 color was a contemporary 911 color that someone wanted for their 914.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: Aubergine is also called 'Eggplant' ...

PPS: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&byColor=98

JRust
So if I was going to get paint. I would just tell them Aubergine & paint code 98?
jmill
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 13 2010, 11:33 AM) *

Agree... keep two:

1. Nice LE Creamsicle
2. Flared 6 Auberguine

Use the sell-off loot to get the six parts started.

agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 13 2010, 06:40 PM) *

So if I was going to get paint. I would just tell them Aubergine & paint code 98?

No. 98 is not a paint code. It means absolutely nothing to a paint shop.

You will have to find the correct paint code for Aubergine/Eggplant for a '73 911 ...
shades.gif Andy
McMark
No, you can't tell them '98' that doesn't mean anything. The code for that color on a 911 is 025.

IPB Image
davep
Aubergine is Porsche code 025
Congratulations.
Is this car a 1975 VIN? You have a build date of 12/72
You can add the code above into the data for custom paint
JRust
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 13 2010, 07:03 PM) *

Aubergine is Porsche code 025
Congratulations.
Is this car a 1975 VIN? You have a build date of 12/72
You can add the code above into the data for custom paint

Shouldn't be a 74 Vin. Guess I need to go make sure I didn't get the 2 back asswords. I was doing them at the same time. Hopefully I didn't get the Vins switched when I put them in.
JRust
I did somehow get the 75 Vin in there. Fixed it now. Thanks Dave
Lennies914
Congrats Jamie,

Six cars? Damn your wife must really love you! piratenanner.gif
Looking forward to seeing this one at next years WCR. shades.gif
JRust
The rear flares has some cracking on the topside. I thought maybe the fiberglass was a little weaker on the one side as the lip was shaved. Seemed lik eit had a fair amount of flex to it. After comparing it to the other side I don't think it's any worse flex wise.
1st question is what is the best product to use for filler on the cracks?
2nd how much of the current filler do I need to take off?
Eric_Shea
what is the best product to use for filler on the cracks?

A welder. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I'd take it all off and get down to the nitty gritty. Then apply MarGlas.
Root_Werks
Yup, sand out the cracks, build a layer or two from the bottom and use the fiberglass filler to smooth out the top again. Should be good.

I think they also make fiberglass top coat stuff, can't remember, been a while since I've worked with finishing products.

It's not hard and kinda fun to work with, takes time though and smells good. w00t.gif

Disclaimer - do not breath resin fumes, they kill brain cells!
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 21 2010, 06:33 AM) *

what is the best product to use for filler on the cracks?

A welder. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I'd take it all off and get down to the nitty gritty. Then apply MarGlas.

agree.gif I would recommmend actually removing the flares completely and reinstalling them. 9 times out of 10 they are not properly bonded, and little to no rust prevention work is applied to the body so what ends up happening is water splashes in the wheel well, gets into the crack where the flare meets the body, and the body panel rusts out under the flare. I know it will be a major PITA but if you want the car nice, and long lasting you need to make certain it is all properly prepped and bonded. There are several epoxy products made specifically for bonding fiberglass to metal. That is the first step most people are unaware of, and one you need to be.
charliew
The fg needs to be sanded down to the gelcoat to see where the cracks are and exactly how long they are. The fg needs to be sanded down on the bottom about half way through and repaired with mat and resin. Then the top needs to be sanded down to where the new repair is and the top repaired with mat and resin. Then a skim coat of filler or gelcoat needs to cover it all on the top or fg strands will print through after awhile in the paint. If there is any sign of a line or fracture where they are put on you should take them off and rebond them to the body right if you want it to last.
JRust
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 21 2010, 08:23 AM) *

Yup, sand out the cracks, build a layer or two from the bottom and use the fiberglass filler to smooth out the top again. Should be good.

I think they also make fiberglass top coat stuff, can't remember, been a while since I've worked with finishing products.

It's not hard and kinda fun to work with, takes time though and smells good. w00t.gif

Disclaimer - do not breath resin fumes, they kill brain cells!

Sounds like a job for you Dan. Whats your schedule like? Interested idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.