Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rearview mirror install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
My rearview mirror fell off a couple of days ago. I removed the small screw that appears to hold the base onto the rest of the mirror, but they still seem connected .

Also, I bought some 3M rearview mirror adhesive. Is this the right stuff. The part of the base that contacts the windshield seems to be made of hard rubber.
tradisrad
Porshce makes an adhesive double sided sticker for mounting on the rear view mirror. I know High Performance house has them. Pelican also has them: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...29%2C%20Each%20

The hard rubber is probably the original sticker. You should clean that off and expose the aluminum base.

All you "should" have to do is remove the small screw to seperate the base and arm. Perhaps someone glued them togeather to stop vibration or something.
detoxcowboy
this will do it factory..

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...29%2C%20Each%20
realred914
the removal of the small screw should allow the mirror to be pulled from the base (I found one once that someone had glued!!) use a doble sided rubberized pad to stick it to the glass, do NOT directly glue the metal base to the glass. use the duoble sided adhesive pad.

High Perfomance house sells the correct precut pad.

make sure you glue the pad to the windo first then the base to the pad, this will allow you to smooth out air bubbles that you can see thru the glass from the outside. If you put the pad on the base first, then to the window, it would not be possible to work out any trapped air, and you will see the trapped air bubbles from outside the car.

good luck
McMark
I've never had luck with the liquid adhesives. Factory sticker pads for all my rearview mirrors.
Tom_T
OEM sticky pads are available at all the usual sources, just pick the best price or fastest shipping to you - AA, Pelican, PP/Automotion, SMC, dealers, etc. A local Porsche parts store or dealer should also carry them for walk-in purchase, since it's the same pad as for the 911/912 & other models.

Stick with the factory part for both proper adhesion & proper release force in the case of an accident. If the adhesive is too strong, then the windshield gets cracked in an accident or when otherwise hit, due to the excessive force transmitted there - if too weak, then it falls off prematurely & usually at a bad time & often resulting in a broken mirror (which may be why the base of yours appears to be glued - if the mount was damaged in such a fall).

idea.gif .... hmmmmm ...... realred's suggestion of pad to window 1st sounds like a good idea - IF you can position it properly to have the mirror/base square to the top/sides of the windshield & placed in the proper position - maybe marking with a grease pencil on the glass, then clean-up before mounting the base.

Otherwise, I'd rather have the mirror/base square & in proper position by putting the adhesive on the base first then stick it there, as a whacky mirror/base would stand out a heck of a lot more than a few air bubbles.

Back in the day the Porsche dealers & shops did the base first the to the glass because it was faster & easier for them to do so that way - but they still charged you the 0.25-0.5 hrs. of labor.

And they usually didn't bother to take the mirror off the base - so if you can't get the mounting screw to base loose because some PO or shop used superglue up there, thn you could still mount it that way.

A razor blade & some hi-test denatured alcohol or acetone will remove the remnant adhesive from both surfaces, otherwise chances are high that the mirror will decide to practice cliff diving just when you need it! biggrin.gif
Cevan
Ahh, that makes sense. The adhesive pad is still on the windshield. Is the base supposed to be metal where it contacts the windshield?

I ordered 2 adhesive pads from my local dealer for $5 each. I should have them by Friday.
avidfanjpl
I did the nonpad adhesive and used the wipe included. I cleaned both the windshield and the aluminum square from any contaminants, then had a bud help me sight it in. Held it in place for a minute, and it has been on for a year. It was mounted too high by PO.

Worked fine for only a few bucks from Autozone.

John
markb
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 13 2010, 11:44 AM) *

Ahh, that makes sense. The adhesive pad is still on the windshield. Is the base supposed to be metal where it contacts the windshield?

I ordered 2 adhesive pads from my local dealer for $5 each. I should have them by Friday.

Before you pull the old pad from the window, put scotch tape on the outside of the window & trace the outline of the old pad with a felt marker. When you pull the pad, you can position the new one in the same place.
Elliot Cannon
I got tired of mine falling off, so I did the BMW mirror trick. Mounted it to the windshield frame and drilled holes for the sun visors.
Drums66
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 13 2010, 11:02 AM) *

I've never had luck with the liquid adhesives. Factory sticker pads for all my rearview mirrors.

...Me either!...I will also use the pads. thumb3d.gif biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jul 13 2010, 01:41 PM) *

I cleaned both the windshield and the aluminum square from any contaminants, .

John

This is a must-do.
chrispy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 13 2010, 02:51 PM) *

I got tired of mine falling off, so I did the BMW mirror trick. Mounted it to the windshield frame and drilled holes for the sun visors.

I saw your method or using a BMW mirror instead and I'm wondering what model/year mirror you used... ANy pointers on how to complete the process?

Thanks!
msglaigaie
TOMT said ""A razor blade & some hi-test denatured alcohol or acetone will remove the remnant adhesive from both surfaces, otherwise chances are high that the mirror will decide to practice cliff diving just when you need it!""

I have been meaning to ask how to get a mirror OFF my windscreen. I want to replace my street mirror and I would like to get it off in one piece. Any advice on this one??
jk76.914
I used one of those spring loaded curtain rods with a rubber tip at each end to hold it up overnight. I put a short piece of scrap 2x4 across the seats, and adjusted the length of the rod so it applied firm pressure but not too much, and left it overnight or a couple of days, I can't remember which.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.