Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shift linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raw1298
I think I screwed up or am missing something simple. Can the shift rod in the tunnel be installed with the engine in? It is a 72 and I am switching it to a sideshift. I have all the parts, I just can't seem to get the bar into the tunnel mad.gif Any suggestions?
drgchapman
Make sure your seat belt bolt on the driver's side isn't too long and hindering the install.
detoxcowboy
What is in the way?
raw1298
If try to install from inside the car the throttle cable tube is in the way, from the engine compartment, the engine is in the way. Cant get it to go in the right spot in the tunnel or it binds up and jams. confused24.gif I had planned on doing it before installing engine, but did not go through my list of things to do and put them in order.
raw1298
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jul 13 2010, 02:05 PM) *

Make sure your seat belt bolt on the driver's side isn't too long and hindering the install.

seat belt bolt is not in car at this time.
Mike Bellis
Do you have the correct engine bar? It should go in. I can get mine in/out and my engine is bigger than yours.
raw1298
I have the one with the hole in it. I took the solid one out with the tailshift.
Mike Bellis
I have to start in front of the bar. take the rear of the rod over the bar. push the rod rear wards until the front of the rod is at the firewall hole. then push it forward into the tunnel. works every time. if that don't work for you, the engine is coming out.
raw1298
I will give it a shot tomorrow. I gotta get up in 4 hours to go to work. Thanks and g'nite. yellowsleep[1].gif
JWest
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 13 2010, 11:17 PM) *

I have to start in front of the bar. take the rear of the rod over the bar. push the rod rear wards until the front of the rod is at the firewall hole. then push it forward into the tunnel. works every time. if that don't work for you, the engine is coming out.

If that does not work, then support the engine and drop the engine mount bar. That will give you plenty of room.
EdwardBlume
I did this on a '73 and it was a bear.... but possible....
tat2dphreak
If that does not work, then support the engine and drop the engine mount bar. That will give you plenty of room.

this is what I had to do... I had the same mistake. I supported the engine on a jack, and disconnected the bar to allow the bar to go into the tunnel... with a new bushing, there was no other way.
raw1298
QUOTE(JWest @ Jul 14 2010, 06:30 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 13 2010, 11:17 PM) *

Yes that is what it took. And about 2hours with a 4 year old asking questions all the while. smile.gif At least he kept me from swearing! All is done for now. Time to search for the thread that tells me how to line all the connections up so it will shift smooooth. The new bushings are great. Thanks for all the advice.
detoxcowboy
Adjusting your Shifter Page #9

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=218669
raw1298
Wow that is awesome. I havent even cleaned up yet. Thanks!!
raw1298
This is supposed to bolt up? It was welded when I got the parts. There is no hole (filled in by welding?) to bolt into. Should I just weld back or is there a better way? I also am not sure how to line this up. Any threads or pictures would help. I am refering to the linkage.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Jul 19 2010, 12:27 PM) *

This is supposed to bolt up? It was welded when I got the parts. There is no hole (filled in by welding?) to bolt into. Should I just weld back or is there a better way? I also am not sure how to line this up. Any threads or pictures would help. I am refering to the linkage.

Hmmm, that shift rod should be one piece...

If you don't get the angle right in securing the two pieces of the bar together, it will not be easy to align the linkage.

I'd recommend getting another side shifter bar to compare to (OR REPLACE).
raw1298
There is a hole in the outer bar that looks like it should have a bolt screw into the solid bar. The solid bar has the hole welded shut as far as I can tell. The linkage came from 3 different sources so I could be very wrong, but it did not look to be a single piece when I got it. confused24.gif
Cupomeat
Well, the original stock side shift bar is one piece and you might want to save yourself a Huge amount of headache by getting the right bar.

I'll see if I have an extra hanging around.
raw1298
Well, it can be done. I placed the transmission in second gear, the shifter in second gear, and centered the shift rod in the center of the hole in the engine bar. Tack welded in place for now, it shifts smoothlt in all gears. smile.gif Have not road tested yet, but engine running and on stands it shifted perfect. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.