Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Its occurring to me that my exhaust exit is going to hit my valence. I have the taller type, prefer it to the short ones.

What is the consensus on how to handle this. My options are:

A) cut a hole in the valence. Maybe make a groovy polished trim ring to rivit around the opening like and old Bonneville lakester car.

B) cut the exhaust pipe, rotate it to exit pointing straight down, reweld.

C) cut it, get a piece made to exit UNDER the valance (bet this would drag all the time).

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
The cleanest would be to just cut-n-weld to reroute it out the existing exhaust port-hole on the long/early valances. Then put a chrome or polished SS tip on the pipe - not the surround. That's my HO any-hoo! biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
Valence?
Your car will be cooler and lighter without it...
If it hadn't come with one from the factory, would you go out of your way to put on something that would make it hotter and slower? On purpose?

If you decide to route the exhaust through a hole in the valence, unless you've got pretty stiff engine and transmission mounts, you'll probably need a lot bigger hole than you think (the engine will twist and bounce in its mounts...).

I think I'd just cut a radiused notch in the valence of your choice. IOW - a hole, open at the bottom. I wouldn't face the exhaust down - I think the sound will reflect off the pavement and get old in a hurry. Get the heat out and away from the car.

But it's your car - do what you like...
jeffdon
The car came with a long valence. Does it really hold in all that much heat? Also, someone at one time had welded up the hole in the valence, so its not pristine. I guess i could recut the opening, and re-route through it, but i will still need to fiddle with the exit pipe to make it fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.