Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper Guards F & R
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
I just came across a perfect pic on CL showing the 74 bumper guards ("tits") side-by-side which illustrates the difference between the front & rear ones.

I decided to post it here because I've seen a few folks asking if they're swap-able, which they are not - IF you want them to look right!

The front ones are longer that the rear ones, & each is angled on the back side to relate to the angle of each bumper F & R - so that they sit right & are roughly level as they project out from the bumper. The fronts are longer due to the bow in the front bumper, whereas the rears can be shorter because that bumper is essentially flat L to R across a 914.

The F "tits" were used on 73 & 74 MY's 914's with either painted or chrome bumpers, while the R "tits" are from the 74 MY only.

Click to view attachment

... so now you know a little more about "tits"! shades.gif

Ericv1
I went through this two years ago. They're also difficult to find. I believe AA has the F & R Passenger side new. But, the F & R Drivers' side are NLA. George did talk about making reproductions at that time. I don't know if anything came of it as they are not in high demand. Most people delete them and use the plugs to fill the holes.
914Sixer
Mark W (914 Rubber) is ready to make them. He is going to make some other stuff first though.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 14 2010, 04:45 AM) *

Mark W (914 Rubber) is ready to make them. He is going to make some other stuff first though.

agree.gif

His will be excellent too! IIRC he posted some prelim pix of the front ones in the Garage or member vendors section a few weeks/months back.

Hey Mark - post a link in this topic - to your repro tits post whenever they're ready, so folks can find them easily from here.

PS - I just sent him a PM with the link to this topic so he can post at a future date.
Ericv1
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 14 2010, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 14 2010, 04:45 AM) *

agree.gif

His will be excellent too! IIRC he posted some prelim pix of the front ones in the Garage or member vendors section a few weeks/months back.

Hey Mark - post a link in this topic - to your repro tits post whenever they're ready, so folks can find them easily from here.

PS - I just sent him a PM with the link to this topic so he can post at a future date.

That'll be great. The passenger side are new but I had to purchase used on the drivers' side. They're getting a little soft.
tod914
As long as that old one doesn't start to sag, you should be ok Eric.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 14 2010, 07:34 PM) *

As long as that old one doesn't start to sag, you should be ok Eric.

Like these Tod? huh.gif

Click to view attachment

BTW - that's what they're supposed to do in an accident as the 3 mph crash resistance devices - those were mine from when the ditz hit it in the parking structure & shoved my then (85) freshly resto'd 73 914-2.0 (nee "914 S" biggrin.gif ) into the concrete wall! sad.gif

Also BTW - Mark/Mikey914 confirmed that he's waiting for more demand for these before he starts production.

So those who need them should start PM'ing him so he can start a list & maybe do a group buy or his usual pre-production commitment discount.

popcorn[1].gif
tod914
Wow Tom, those really took a good smack. Might make good book ends.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 15 2010, 02:03 PM) *

Wow Tom, those really took a good smack. Might make good book ends.

Well, after all, that ditzy gal was rolling along pretty good when she "...forgot to turn left to go up the ramp!" & pushed 2170 lbs. of 914 2 feet ahead into the wall!!!! dry.gif

I think they're already in the recyle bin long ago - so much for bookends. sad.gif

They remind me of the Mad Magazine cartoons' style old lady boobs! biggrin.gif
whatabout1
I wanted to make 1" thick teats to cover the marks left by the double D's on my '73.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.