Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swimming anyone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I forgot to clip on the targa, i just sat it in place. Then i parked the car with the ass end up on ramps and it rained sad.gif then it rained again dry.gif Then today i go out to the car to get somthing out and.....

i see a pool of water on top of the coco mats WTF.gif

dammit mad.gif

So i pulled all the carpet and sopped up as much as i could, then fixed the top on properly. When it rains, it pours....
EdwardBlume
Ouch... bummer... hissyfit.gif
Krieger
I think that is what they call "flash rust". Happens pretty fast. biggrin.gif
BigD9146gt
Speed holes help in that situation... next time put a rubber ducky in the frame biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
icon8.gif
Ericv1
That was a big storm. It stretched from PA across the state of Ohio and it was raining buckets. Most of the time I could only see 20-30 feet in front of me.
Spoke
If you're talking about the rain we got on Saturday, the Allentown airport reported 5.5 inches of rain. I had a drywall bucket outside and I know it's not a true rain gauge but it had about 8 inches of water in it after the storm.
arkitect
I am currently working on that area, from years of sitting and the pedal assembly area being the low point of the cab water will sit there and the never ending rust will begin.

Take the pedal assembly out, wire wheel/grind/sand and use something to stop the rust, then recoat. I know it sounds easy....but it's not.

Good luck. Dave
SUNAB914
Maybe time for a restoration?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jul 14 2010, 09:19 AM) *

Maybe time for a restoration?

This would require Joe to stop driving the car. Not gunna happen. poke.gif happy11.gif

While the car is down for exhaust repair, pull the pedals and fix the rust. if it is not through, hit it with some naval jelly or some other converter, and topcoat with a rust preventing paint (like POR-15 or Rust Bullit) Reinstall your pedals and go to town.

For extra points, this is a prime time to get a pedal rebuild kit (the bronze bushing ones are pretty cheap) and rebuild your cluster. You will be amazed how well everything moves down there after rebushing. Night and day.

The only problem area I found when I did mine was getting the roll pin out. I had the machinist at Broadway Auto in Redlion press it out. A little wire wheel and paint, new bronze bushings, and the cluster looked like it was brand new.

Zach
ME733
.Use a wet /dry shop vaccum.And if you decide to drill drain holes....use a portable /battery powered drill. No sense in getting electrocuted over a little accident.
charliew
I didn't know drywall came in a bucket, I thought I knew everything.

But seriously doesn't that mean that all of the floor got wet including under the seats and in the tunnel?
zymurgist
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jul 14 2010, 10:36 AM) *

.Use a wet /dry shop vaccum.And if you decide to drill drain holes....use a portable /battery powered drill. No sense in getting electrocuted over a little accident.

I thought they were called speed holes!
Eric_Shea
Bummer Jeff... biggrin.gif

(sorry, I think the new name should stick)
buhs914
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jul 14 2010, 07:36 AM) *

Or you could let it sit and drain holes will naturally appear biggrin.gif It's nature's way of taking care of in car flooding issues poke.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 14 2010, 02:36 PM) *

I didn't know drywall came in a bucket, I thought I knew everything.

But seriously doesn't that mean that all of the floor got wet including under the seats and in the tunnel?

Nope. Ass end of the car is up on ramps. All the water went forward.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.