Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Transmission successfully installed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
Okay guys I just have to say, I think the 6 cylinders are meant to be in these cars. Absolutely great!!

I although think the need for a modern transmission is greatly needed. I have a cable shift 901 and it shifts very nice, but too much separation between gears and the time it takes to shift from one to the other is a little long.

So guys with the Subaru transmissions already installed, how do you like it? How do you like the MR2 cable shifter also? (maybe there is less slop in this one, campared to cableshift.com shifter that i have.)

Are the gear ratios also the same? I think my EZ30R has plenty of torque to go 65-70 mph on the freeway at about 2k rpm instead of the 3000 it is now.

charliew
Suby trannys are geared for suby street cars so yes they are geared good but for the lighter 914 the 3:90 or 3:70 ratio would probably be best if the close to stock size tires are used. With the taller tire a lower ratio could be used. Get the sticker number off the suby tranny, it's by where the starter bolts on on the edge of the bellhousing flange, you can see it in the car, and look it up the gears and ratios are available on nasioc. I would think a cable shifter like the 914 shifter could be loose if all the slop isn't taken out of the mechanism. It should shift as good as the car it came out of if done properly. My old 96 tt jdm tranny has 4:44 I'm pretty sure where my 02 wrx tranny has 3:90, I think there are four different ratios available with a 3:70 as the highest and maybe a 4:10 but it's been awhile since I looked at the ratios. The 05 up legacy turbo 5spd is supposed to be the strongest of the 5spds so far but the 03 up wrx tranny is stronger than the 02 wrx tranny. They made the gears a little wider from what I have read.

Also be aware of the differences of a push and a pull throwout bearing mechanism. The two turbo trannys I have use a cross shaft where the 05 legacy tranny uses a arm like a chebby with a pivot ball in the bellhousing. These tranny don't share a common pressure plate so you need to know which tranny you have to get a clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing assy. With the crossshaft it needs to be pulled out the side before the tranny can be pulled back from the motor. The throwout arm needs to be lined up to push the shaft back in, sometimes it's a pain, that may be why they use the ball pivot type.

I wanted to get a 2wd tranny and compare the mainshaft to the awd tranny and see if it could be used with the 05 leg gears and syncros. It would be a solid shaft where the awd is a two piece that must be locked up for the 914 2wd app. The weakness of the suby tranny is supposed to be the mainshaft flex and maybe the case expanding from the excessive torque of over 400 ft lb motors. Straight cut high performance gears make this force on the tranny critical.

For the time being you could just go to taller tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.