Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifters/shift linkage for a Subaru Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Corkus
I have a Subaru motor and 5 speed tranny with a Bremar tranny kit just about ready to install in my '75. What shifters/linkages will work?

Will most any mid-engine shifter and shift cable setup work?

Toyota MR2? Boxster? How about adapting 911 linkages and shifters?

What about shifters and linkages from modern Hondas, Toyotas and the like? Since they are cabled to the trannys too, will they work? Will most 5 speed cable connected linkages work?

Does a shifter and linkage have to be mid-engine? Cable linkages? 5 speed linkages?

Does the shift pattern need to match the Subaru's? Are there good aftermarket setups?

I guess you can tell I don't know much about what is involved here.

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.
strawman
I'm using a cable shifter from a 1985-89 Toyota MR2 in my Suby-engined and -transmissioned teener. I picked up a shifter from a first-gen Mitsubishi Eclipse from the local Pick-n-Pull, since it looked beefier than the MR2 unit -- but since it is front wheel drive and the cables point forward I would have needed to swap the direction of the throws and settled on the MR2 unit. It feels good on the mock-up in my garage, but I haven't driven the car yet...

See my build at http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...3031&st=100. The initial shifter mock-up is shown on post #92, with the final one shown at post #115. I'm using Teleflex Extreme Control Cables (part #CC633** where "**" = length in feet) in 9-foot and 11-foot lengths. Where in NorCal are you? I live in Davis; PM me if you want to stop by and see it in action.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.