Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hot does the engine tin get?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikea100
I want to paint my engine tin pieces, flap control boxes, etc. I found engine primer and engine enamel that are rated 500F (260C). Is this good enough or should I go with oven paint that is rated 2000F (1093C). It wouldn't even be a question, but engine enamel is nice and glossy and oven paint is dull and flat.
Thanks,
Mike.
SUNAB914
500 is fine
ME733
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jul 14 2010, 10:20 AM) *

500 is fine

..............Yep, I agree.
tat2dphreak
I took an infared thermometer to the engine tin (and cylinder heads, and other things as well) at the oil temps of 200-210... the tin was only around 170-180..

FWIW, regular rustoleum will handle that heat fine smile.gif I used a black Satin.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Good quality single stage enamel will do fine, base/clearcoat will not.
rmital
MIKE....how's the project coming along????

besides painting stuff, did you get your teener running and all sorted out??
mikea100
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 14 2010, 11:20 AM) *

I took an infared thermometer to the engine tin (and cylinder heads, and other things as well) at the oil temps of 200-210... the tin was only around 170-180..

FWIW, regular rustoleum will handle that heat fine smile.gif I used a black Satin.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is great info, Thank you. Yuor engine looks awesome, that's the look I'm going for.
mikea100
QUOTE(rmital @ Jul 14 2010, 12:11 PM) *

MIKE....how's the project coming along????

besides painting stuff, did you get your teener running and all sorted out??

Ray, didn't get it running. I think that the timing is all messed up. So I took the engine out, bought sheet metal from RD and started rust repair. Jon has been a HUGE help. Most of the rust is now cut out and/or covered w/ RustBullet.
bugsy0
Seems like Rustoleum takes forever (like weeks) to truly harden, and the smallest drop of gasoline will dissolve it completely.
charliew
If it doesn't remove it, it will wrinkle it or at least stain it. For long lasting paint I would use some single stage urethane. Eastwoods has a engine paint that they say is good I haven't tried it though.
tat2dphreak
This is great info, Thank you. Yuor engine looks awesome, that's the look I'm going for.

FWIW, the front part is silver paint, with a satin clear coat, and I used etching primer on all of it, and bead blasted bare first.

all of the tin was done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.