Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question: Best way to drop a 6er from a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I am pulling the 2.7 6er from my black car (it's for sale...hint hint...)

I have dropped 4 cylinder motors, but not a 6.

1) The oil tank is in the rear trunk. Should I drain that first?
2) The 6 uses a quick-6 mount bar. I assume it drops like the 4s then. anyone comment?
3) I know the 6er is much heavier than the 4. Any special precautions, hints, tips, tricks?
4) I've always dropped the 4s with the trans attached. Same thing or drop the trans first?

Thanks in advance.

Cap'n Krusty
Get all the oil out first. Unplug everything that needs to be unplugged, remove the linkage and the cables, drop it like a 4. The balance point id between the sump plate and the bell housing.

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 14 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Get all the oil out first. Unplug everything that needs to be unplugged, remove the linkage and the cables, drop it like a 4. The balance point id between the sump plate and the bell housing.

agree.gif

McMark made me a little wooden cradle to fit the bottom of my engine to make it easier to balance the combo on a floor-jack ...
smash.gif Andy
KaptKaos
I've used Euro911s motorcycle jack and that's worked well. I might need to buy me one myself.

I am a little worried about the height of the engine, with the fan, it's very tall.
pete-stevers
get the ass way up in the air!
Tom
I use pier blocks/2x4's and 2 inch X 12 inch X 12 inch blocks to put the car level and 20-24 inches off the garage floor. Rock steady platform. Then the motorcycle jack to lower/raise the engine. Works great.
Send me a PM with your E-mail and I'll send pics. Can't resize pics for this forum. You are welcome to resize and post.
Tom
KaptKaos
PM sent.
J P Stein
ATV jack, with cradle, and spacer blocks, car level with 32 inches twixt the rear bulkhead & ground. I've done ths a lot & developed a system..... stability of the assembly is essential.
Tom
J.P.,
That's a great system, especially for a racer or other type that removes the engine often. I love the fact you can roll the car out of the way while working on the engine. For us with limited workspaces this is critical.
Didn't you use to be a rigger? Worked with them in the shipyard for years and this just looks like the way they did things. SAFE! and smart!
Tom
BigD9146gt
I made this up some years ago. Works great as you can spin it around, set it on three jack stands, and place a block of wood between the bottom of the motor and the bar and pull the tranny off too. Not so good for ass up angled install/removal, so the car has to be level. Fits in most floor jack holes.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Tom @ Jul 15 2010, 07:04 AM) *

Didn't you use to be a rigger? Worked with them in the shipyard for years and this just looks like the way they did things. SAFE! and smart!
Tom

Thanks, Tom.

I was a shipwright in the yards. Moving around a 50 ton module on jacks & shores will make your asshole tight enuff to cut off washers. blink.gif This stuff is a peice of cake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.