Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper procedure for setting the timing on a 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
I would like to know the proper procedure for setting the timming on a 74 2.0 using an inductive timing light? I have all the marks on my fan but also would like to know exactly what they are (picture attached are from vw ratwell showing a notch on one side and then a "0" and another line mark on the other side), I recently powder coted my fan and painted only the "long line" mark but not the "0" or the notch on the other side....

other issue is I have a dual port throttle body on a 74 2.0... will this cause me problems?

also confused as to should I even use the dual port at all on a 74 dizzy and vac cannister... what should I expect..

but am unclear on which hoses or both to disconnect and then plug at the throttle body from vacuum cannister.. ..

I have read that I need to run the car at 3500 rpm while timing

here is what I have to work with

74 2.0 w/

crane fireball xr700 electronic igniton
0 231 174 011 (dizzy) stock 74
1 237 122 603 (vac) stock 74
dual port throttle body stock 73

Excuse me for the multiple questions but when I learn something I like to know why and not just follow direction without comprehension of why...

fan housing marks pics.. what side are they as installed in completed engine..

I believe I saw the "notch" in the first picture when I was adjusting my valves so that is TDC? and then the onther "0" and "long line" are on the other side towards the rear of motor?

I believe the "long line" mark is 27 deg. BTDC and is what I will be using but what is the "0" then?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
type47
According to the workshop manual, 22.3-2/1, the "0" is TDC and the "notch" or line is the timing mark. Because it's so hard /awkward to see while trying to time the engine, I painted a line on the fan near the belt pulley across from the timing notch. The workshop manual says to set the dwell, warm up the oil, connect timing light, detach both vacuum lines from the vacuum unit, run engine at 3500 rpm and adjust timing mark to notch in fan housing.
TheCabinetmaker
agree.gif When you disconnect the vacuum hoses, plug them both. I could be wrong but I think the 74 throttle body only had the vaccum retard nipple. 73 had both. Like type47 said, set the dwell first. it affects the timing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.