Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front caliper questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten

Hi--I have a couple of questions about the front calipers on my '73.

I got some rebuilt calipers and I believe the piston angle is slightly off--the retaining plates that go under the brake pads don't seat flush with the piston where it is notched (almost but not quite...). I was able to install everything but I'm wondering if this will be a problem? Can I rotate these pistons slightly? Only one out of the four seemed to line up correctly.

Also, when re-installing the caliper pins, there is a loose-fiting collar. Do I tap these in with a punch so that collar compresses and secures the pin?

I hope I'm making sense here...

Cap'n Krusty
Yes, you can rotate the piston. Tricky but doable. Yes, those collars hold the pins in place. BTW, those plates aren't retaining plates, they're a primitive anti-squeal device.

The Cap'n
kpfoten
Thanks. Do the anti-squeal plates actually work??

Also, when installing new brakes/discs is it normal to have a small amount of friction when rotating the disc?

Eric_Shea
There are four prongs that seat the positioning plates. They are simply a press fit. Chances are, one of those prongs has popped up in shipping. Press it back down and you should be good to go. Or - take them off all-together. They are not needed, they just come in the kit.

Those plates are positioning devices. The anit-squeal plates are on the back of the pads and only come in "some" early 911 pad kits now (65-68). Bottom line is... you're already positioned.

Both options are "MUCH" easier than attempting to rotating a piston without proper rotating pliers. You run the serious risk of damaging the piston and these are "very" fragile with a paper thin lip on one side. Most are damaged already.

Use a drift to tap the pins in flush.

Yes, there's normally some friction on the fronts. Bed the pads http://www.pmbperformance.com/page/page/1492423.htm and the fronts will be fine.
kpfoten

Thanks Eric--looking forward to trying out those Porterfields!

Kris
Cap'n Krusty
Well, excuuuuuuuuse me! All these years I've thought they were anti squeal plates, not positioning plates. I throw 'em away anyway, because most of them are chingered up. Accept my apologies for the error ...................

The Cap'n
kpfoten
Hah! You guys are great--thanks for the chuckle on this stressful day...

Some people go to the therapist, I go to 914world...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.