Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusty bolts!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
desmo900rider
I am in the midst of trying to change out my motor mounts on my 74, and when I was removing the engine bar, one of the heads of the bolts that go into the chassis sheared off. I tried everything I could to get it out, heat, hammers, etc, it wouldn't budge. I took it to my local Porsche guy, and he worked on it today with heat, big tools, etc, and finally tried to torch it out and ended up cutting into the bar itself, and still couldn't remove it. Today, I picked up another engine bar locally from a 914 guy, and it has the bolts, intact, but also stuck in the bar. I've soaked in PB Blaster, tapped lightly on the bolts, tried to turn them out with a wrench and tapping on that, and nothing. Since I have been into 914s for about 3 weeks now and have already seen this twice, I'm guessing it's not that uncommon of a problem.

How do I get these things out, or better yet, what kind of shop do I take it to to get them out?! I want my car back on the road!

Thanks all!

Mike
Cap'n Krusty
There are no bolts on the engine mount of your car that go into a blind hole in the chassis. All have a readily accessible nut on the other end. You have 2 8mm bolts holding the brackets on each end of the bar, and one long 10mm bolt attaching each end of the bar to the brackets. There are 2 motor mounts between the bar and the engine brackets, and they have a nut both the top and the bottom. I'm not at all clear how you could be having breakage issues, because breaking either the bolt or the nut would render the fastener free to be removed. If the 10mm bolts are broken, you should be able to knock them out with a BFH and a drift. More details might be helpful.

The Cap'n
detoxcowboy
Is this a 1.8? I have never seen what your talking about before, I have a 74 2.0.. I agree with the captain, It is confusing and impossible.. Pictured is the motor mount whihc is threaded on both sides and goes into the engine bar and an l-bracket off of engine..

Also pictured is engine resting on the engine bar cirlced.. which mounts on anothe u shaped braket whihc itself is bolted through holders whihc is on the chasis.. if something breaks it should just come right out or as stated above, big f hammer

Nothing bolts into the chasis

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
desmo900rider
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jul 15 2010, 06:27 PM) *

Is this a 1.8? I have never seen what your talking about before, I have a 74 2.0.. I agree with the captain, It is confusing and impossible..

I'm referring to to the bolts on the ends of the bar that hold the bar to the car, not the bolts of the mounts themselves.

On each end of the bar, a large-ish (4" long) bolt goes up through the engine bar, through a mount on the chassis, and has a nut on top if it. Those bolts, are stuck, rusted into, the bar. The nuts are off the bolts, the bar, with the stuck bolts, is out of the car. They do not thread into the bar, the bolts are smooth in the section that is in the bar, with threads on the end for the nut. Does this make more sense?

And yes, it's a 1.8.
Lennies914
If I am understanding you correctly the bolts are rusted or stuck in the outter ends of the engine bar. If so, since the replacement bar is not in the car, I would put it in a hydrolic press, apply some pressure and put the heat to it.
desmo900rider
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 15 2010, 06:26 PM) *

If the 10mm bolts are broken, you should be able to knock them out with a BFH and a drift.

The Cap'n

That's what I thought, but I hit them so hard it mushroomed the end of the bolt. It didn't move a bit...
underthetire
We, the California section that responded want to know what is this "rust" you speak of. shades.gif
detoxcowboy
2 engine bars like that? Wow, Holy Cow.. Drill Baby Drill!!
jaxdream
Cut the bolts off flush with the bar , center punch , use successively bigger drill bits , in a drill perss if you have one or can borrow some one elses , drill half way through each side so as to not have a long length of drill bit in there . Right now you have two in this condition , you can experiment on one and have a backup if the experiment goes bad . stromberg.gif Good luck .....
My $.02 ....

Jack / Jaxdream
silver74insocal
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 15 2010, 07:42 PM) *

We, the California section that responded want to know what is this "rust" you speak of. shades.gif

lol-2.gif agree.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I saw some rust once. No, really. In a museum. Honest!

Made us wear protective gear and whatnot .............. I think it was in the same room as the pictures of some weird white stuff they called "snow". They told us we'd have to wear heavy clothing if we were ever around the real thing. Yeah, right. I could never do that. I don't think they even make "Hawaiian jackets" and insulated flip flops.

The Cap'n
RJMII
I have two engine bars under my work bench, sans bolts; you're welcome to one of them for the cost of shipping. (for side shifter)
championgt1
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 15 2010, 09:53 PM) *

I have two engine bars under my work bench, sans bolts; you're welcome to one of them for the cost of shipping. (for side shifter)

This is the ticket!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.