Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical gremlin on the Instruments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Looking for suggestions before pulling out the instruments. Turn signals, Flashers, Handbrake, Oil, Alternator, Gas, Highbeams all work OK. The backlighting is out.

What's the common reason for this one? Thanks.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 15 2010, 09:10 PM) *

Looking for suggestions before pulling out the instruments. Turn signals, Flashers, Handbrake, Oil, Alternator, Gas, Highbeams all work OK. The backlighting is out.

That would be the black/blue wire from the headlight switch. Fuse 7 provides the power for the dimmer potentiometer (black/blue) then the black/blue wire goes to all the lamps. Pull the switch out and test for voltage on terminal 58b (from fuse) and 58a (output to dash lamps).
detoxcowboy
I am sure you know this but worth the obvious mention first make sure your dimmer is turn on full....
dangrouche
my license plate lights regularly short out and burn out the fuse; check the leads to the lights, mine were shorting, so I have been on the hunt for a substitute for these lights or just insulate and go without.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yup probably the rheostat is disfunctioning.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 15 2010, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 15 2010, 09:10 PM) *

That would be the black/blue wire from the headlight switch. Fuse 7 provides the power for the dimmer potentiometer (black/blue) then the black/blue wire goes to all the lamps. Pull the switch out and test for voltage on terminal 58b (from fuse) and 58a (output to dash lamps).

bandjoey
So this is related to my old license light problem. Found a hot wire grounding on the body. New grommet and heat shrink later the rear lights up and #7 fuse is holding. I'll check the 58's for power now. Thanks. Is this also in George's tech tips book? Might have to get one. w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.