Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bumper threads stripped / how to fix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
The guy from Oklahoma that sold me a bumper that's going to get replated, failed to disclose that two of the threads were stripped. Whats the best way to repair this? Heli-coil? Time cert? JB weld a nut on the back of it? Have a nut welded? Suggestions appreciated. 73 style bumper.

Thanks, Tod
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 16 2010, 08:14 AM) *

The guy from Oklahoma that sold me a bumper that's going to get replated, failed to disclose that two of the threads were stripped. Whats the best way to repair this? Heli-coil? Time cert? JB weld a nut on the back of it? Have a nut welded? Suggestions appreciated. 73 style bumper.

Thanks, Tod

Tod - no JB weld - it'll eventually rattle off, probably at the worst time while you're driving it & cause all sorts of havoc on the car!

Try to re-tap first, then try insert if not, then if still not try to tack-weld a nut on the back face/inside of the brace(s) in question - IMHO, of course.
iamchappy
Drill out and tap for one size bigger bolt.
tod914
Thanks guys. Didn't know how strong the JB weld was. I'll look into having it tapped larger. Will have to see if the next larger size bolt will go through trunk and back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.