Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crap, now what
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Been hot here, so I drove the car with AC. Was going to the post office to send Jim more endmills for his emblems, thought i'd take the 914. No fuel pump mad.gif . Bang fuel pump with hammer, car now runs. Driving down the street listening to a horrible grinding noise coming from inside the dash. Stops when I come to a stop. Speedo cable is fairly new, less than 6mo. old. I think it's the actual speedo this time. It has always acted wierd, no movement till about 20MPH then jumps up. Needle shakes to 30 MPH, then gets smoother. Looks like I got to find a fuel pump and a speedo. The car is pissed that I drove my other car! I'm telling you, these things get jealous if you play with something else!
EdwardBlume
You need a speedo? beer.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 16 2010, 12:41 PM) *

You need a speedo? beer.gif

Maybe. My jeep is undergoing surgery tonight/tomorrow first, then i'll look and see whats going on. Thanks.
Tom_T
I think you can still get the gear sets for the speedos to rebuild it yourself, or send it to either Palo Alto or North Hollywood Speedo to rebuild/restore if you're not comfortable replacing them yourself.

IIRC it was PP/Automotion or AA who carried the gears, but other sources may too.
kerensky
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 16 2010, 11:09 AM) *
I think it's the actual speedo this time. It has always acted wierd, no movement till about 20MPH then jumps up. Needle shakes to 30 MPH, then gets smoother. Looks like I got to find a fuel pump and a speedo. The car is pissed that I drove my other car! I'm telling you, these things get jealous if you play with something else!

First, did you lube the speedo cable at all? This sounds much like a binding speedo cable to me. 80's/90's VWs have this problem a lot. wink.gif

As for automotive jealousy, that's pretty common, too. hissyfit.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(kerensky @ Jul 16 2010, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 16 2010, 11:09 AM) *
I think it's the actual speedo this time. It has always acted wierd, no movement till about 20MPH then jumps up. Needle shakes to 30 MPH, then gets smoother. Looks like I got to find a fuel pump and a speedo. The car is pissed that I drove my other car! I'm telling you, these things get jealous if you play with something else!

First, did you lube the speedo cable at all? This sounds much like a binding speedo cable to me. 80's/90's VWs have this problem a lot. wink.gif

As for automotive jealousy, that's pretty common, too. hissyfit.gif

Like I said the speedo cable is pretty new, and does not come apart that I know of too lube. I guess I can try to find a lube fitting to screw on to the end.
Lennies914
Jeff, I think I still have an extra speedo if you need it. I'm also attempting to rebuild my old fuel pump tonite. If I am successfull you're welcome to the aftermarket one I bought, beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Speedo? Lube? What?

jaxdream
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 16 2010, 08:33 PM) *

Speedo? Lube? What?

Yes , someone please share how to lube your speedo cable !! pray.gif I would be very interested. Thanks ...

Jack / Jaxdream
underthetire
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jul 17 2010, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 16 2010, 08:33 PM) *

Speedo? Lube? What?

Yes , someone please share how to lube your speedo cable !! pray.gif I would be very interested. Thanks ...

Jack / Jaxdream

From what I see, these cables have clips on both sides, not allowing the cable to come out of the housing unlike some other older cars. My neighbor has a fitting that screws to one end of the cable, you stick a grease gun on it and pump grease through it. It's for a cheby though. I'll check to see if it works, but i doubt it. Guess I could just make one, pretty simple item.
mipstien
here try this.....
IPB Image
IPB Image

arkitect
Jeff,
Sorry to hear about your speedo going out. Did you ever get to install your sway bar?

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.