Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
project-914
I read a few threads on cleaning engine bays, and cases, but this is different

I took off my engine tin to find caked on grime and dirt (like always). My heads were taken off, but once back on, is it safe to use liquid products and begin cleaning? I will take it to be steamed later... I am just trying to ensure that my engine can breathe once it is reinstalled (and the engine tin)

thanks
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(project-914 @ Jul 16 2010, 01:44 PM) *

I read a few threads on cleaning engine bays, and cases, but this is different

I took off my engine tin to find caked on grime and dirt (like always). My heads were taken off, but once back on, is it safe to use liquid products and begin cleaning? I will take it to be steamed later... I am just trying to ensure that my engine can breathe once it is reinstalled (and the engine tin)

thanks

You are good to clean the engine as long as any place where water could get in is covered securely. Make sure no water gets into your engine! It sure does get nasty under those tins. I remember when I cleaned mine.
Bleyseng
take the engine outside and clean it with cans of brake cleaner.. put a tray under the engine and spray away all the gunk. Use the enviromental friendly stuff if you are a green person.
Cupomeat
Yeah, Use the environmentally friendly stuff even if you aren't a green person
Tom
I'm guessing the engine is out of the car?
When I pulled mine, I used Dawn power disolver. Comes out as a gel and works very good. Comes in a blue spray bottle. Made the heads look new!
Scrape off the thicker stuff, then spray on and let sit for a while. Then scrub with brush and rinse with the water hose. As others have mentioned, carefully close all openings for water to get inside the engine and keep an eye on them during the cleaning.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.