Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High beams only - bad relay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
I seem to be stuck on high beams only. All the fuzes are good in the fuze box. No click sound on the light stalk so I pressume the relay went bad? Is there a high power substitute/one that's better or a suitable replacement that can go in the stock location? Or do I just replace it with an OEM one? Part number appreciated.. I came up with 111 941 583 but not 100% certian that's what I need. Is the high/low beam relay located on the fuze box? Couldn't find any pictures of it when I searched the forum.

Thanks, Tod
detoxcowboy
Tod, I use a stock relay w/ h4 100 watts w/ no problem and I have used my high(flash on then off) beams several long dirve nights on winding no lighted roads.. no issues ever..

111-941-583-M84 Headlight Relay (High/Low Beam), 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), Each [More Info]
Brand: Empi
Relays
[view in catalog] $17.50

Why do I always tyope like an idot?
tod914
Thankyou sir, much appreciated. I'll order a new one on Monday. I take it most places stock that?
Tom_T
Tod (& Joe) - I pretty sure you need to add the high power relays for the 100/80 H4's - otherwise you risk burning the hi/low relays, electrical overloads & bolown fuses or worse (elec. fires), plus you won't get enough/full power to the bulbs, which can shorten their life.

Tod - I think that AA, PP/Automotion, Pelican, SMC, JWest & some others sell the relay kits & they aren't that expensive - but it sounds like you need a new hi/low/flash beam relay too.

I had to do the extra hi power relays in my 88 Westy when I converted it to 100/80 halogens (rectangular ones in that case - similar to 914 80/100 + relay kits, but it was a VW Vanagon kit from GoWesty).

PS - if it were me, on your resto Tod I'd stick with the OEM Bosch or Hella hi/low/flash relays from the above sources. You may also want to get the JWest foglight flash kit for $25 while you're at it, so you can flash the fogs with the headlights down in daylight.
tod914
Tom, I just put in the Hella Euro lights with 60/55 H4's. I didn't want to get involved with adding in additional relays, extra wiring, etc. Should be ok with the stock one I guess. Now to figure out which one it is lol.
detoxcowboy
[quote name='Tom_T' post='1344496' date='Jul 16 2010, 04:03 PM']
Tod (& Joe) - I pretty sure you need to add the high power relays

It is extra precaution but not necessary, I have had that extra $5 "high power" relay and did not need it.. even w/ 100 watt h4 headlights and 80watts h3 fogs..
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 16 2010, 04:15 PM) *

Tom, I just put in the Hella Euro lights with 60/55 H4's. I didn't want to get involved with adding in additional relays, extra wiring, etc. Should be ok with the stock one I guess. Now to figure out which one it is lol.

Tod just get it at pelican parts, that is where I got mine and cut and past it for you in the above response.. good luck
JeffBowlsby
smile.gif
tod914
Awesome, thankyou guys. Just what I needed, thanks again Jeff. I need to keep reminding myself to check your site more often. So much great information compiled.
Tom
Got a new relay from Pelican for mine a couple of years ago. Put it in and no work. Seems the new relays require an external jumper between two of the relay terminals. Can't remember for sure which ones right now. If no one chimes in, I'll look later.
Tom
914Sixer
If the relay does not fix the problem you will need a new TS switch.
Drums66
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 16 2010, 04:15 PM) *

That's right young man!....look around maybe you pinched a wire?? idea.gif stirthepot.gif
when you were in there....fooling around?
tod914
Odd.. After testing other lights I had, then back to the Hella Euros, all is good now. Saves me the trouble of buying a relay. Just puzzled why it did that. Thanks for the advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.