Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signals not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
According to some searching, if you activate the turnsignal with key off and they just burn steady, no blinking, the relay is out. Is that right? If so, which one is the turn signal relay? It's one of the ones on the back side of the fuse panel right? Cheapist place to get one? Thanks.
Cambo
Also, flashers work with key off, but not with key on. Turn signals do nothing with key on, not even steady burn.
Mike Bellis
The hazard switch uses the same relay as the turn signals. If the hazard works, I suspect your problem is the fuse supplying power whith the key on. The hazards should work with the key on too. Fuses 9 & 11 is where you should start. try spinning the fuses to clean off corrosion.
Tom_T
TS relays are still available at most of the usual sources - AA, PP/A, Pelican, SMC, etc. - so just check them all for best price, &/or Google the part no. & check other vendors' prices.

IIRC, the E-flasher cancels to stop flashing with the turned key on, but I'm not sure, also not sure on your test for a faulty flasher. Maybe someone else can advise on that aspect, or .....

If these worked when you picked up the car & drove it home, maybe check with Craig for troubleshooting - since he sold it to you, knows the specific car & 914s in general very well. I'm sure he'd be happy to help a customer! smile.gif
ripper911
Read Tech Tips 700, it really helped me with my turn signals.
They still don't work but I know it's the switch! aktion035.gif
Cambo
I think it's the relay switch. with the key off, the flashers blink a couple times then stop. Listened to the relay switch during this and it the clicking was spuratic.

Also, looks like replacement relays online are 4 prong. Mine is blue and is only 3 prong. Hmmm. Aftermarket job maybe. There's no extra wire hanging around either...Are they normally 4 prong????
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cambo @ Jul 16 2010, 06:04 PM) *

According to some searching, if you activate the turnsignal with key off and they just burn steady, no blinking, the relay is out. Is that right? If so, which one is the turn signal relay? It's one of the ones on the back side of the fuse panel right? Cheapist place to get one? Thanks.

I don't know what year your 914 is, but the early cars were designed with that feature. Why on US cars, don't know, but the design was Euro for parking on dark narrow streets, Leave the lever down/up, depending on parking condition, and the turn signals were illuminated F & R, so that incoming cars could see you parked along these dark streets. It's not a failure if you have an early 914 - supposed to work that way.

This is NOT a problem for early cars, but you do seem to have a problem with the flashers. Sorry, no help with that.
Pat
Cambo
Laughing now. Figured it out. Looked at where the relay is supposed to go. There are three wires coming out of it going to a three pronged relay. Somebody jimmy rigged this thing. should be an easy fix. Just have to buy a new relay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.