Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Downsizing and valve management system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
I am amazed by the developpement in engine technology in those 5 past years. Petrol engines get smaler, more powerfull, and get higher mpg.
Fiat who has invented the common rail technology for Diesel brings now the Multiair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc51ar4447Q

They also presented last week an new two cylinders engine for the fiat 500.

To further improve performance and emissions reduction on the Fiat 500, Fiat has introduced a new 85 horsepower 2-cylinder engine with several energy-saving additions. The TwinAir is a 0.9L engine with a turbo using MultiAir technology, start-stop, and a total fuel consumption rate of 57mph (average, US).
The little engine puts out the same power as the 1.2L and 1.4L engines it will replace and it propels the 500 to up to 108mph. It's capable of 0-62mph in 11 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhDkNhhVbfk
Bleyseng
I'd love to have one of these cars! 57 mpg,wow! That blows the doors of the stupid yuppy Prius....
buhs914
Pretty neat stuff! The UTI recruiter that used to come to my old High School picked up a 2010 Jetta TDI and he's getting 60 mpg highway and like 45-56 city!!
johannes
Pretty neat stuff! The UTI recruiter that used to come to my old High School picked up a 2010 Jetta TDI and he's getting 60 mpg highway and like 45-56 city!!
Yes, but this Fiat engines are petrol, not diesel. They are cheaper to build and don't have the particles and Nox pollution issues.
Mark Henry
I have a friend who's running on veggie oil, I think the omnly emissions is it smells like a chip truck. biggrin.gif

Cool stuff.
McMark
That's really cool!
Katmanken
Looked at a system like that for my senior thesis in college.

Ran some math and found it takes a very large oil flow to accomplish it.

As I recall, for an 8 cylinder engine of the time, the flow could be as much as 12 gallons per minute.

Then the professor and I talked about his GM experiences with hot and cold oil pressures, oil foaming, dirty oil, and the like and it looked difficult to do it with an all mechanical system.

So from that, the electronics may be a key part of the system to make the oil volume manageable.

The proof of how good it works is floor it or redline it, and see how long it takes for oil starvation. Might work great for a Pious , errrr Prius Pilot that religiously follows the fuel consumption readout and always drives in the left lane to slow traffic.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jul 17 2010, 04:01 AM) *

I find that questionable, as the main complaint about the new TDis is the fuel mileage has dropped compared to the earlier versions.

The Cap'n
buhs914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 17 2010, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jul 17 2010, 04:01 AM) *

I find that questionable, as the main complaint about the new TDis is the fuel mileage has dropped compared to the earlier versions.

The Cap'n

i may be wrong on the year. I can't quite remember if it was actually a 2008 or a 2009.. wacko.gif All I remember is that it was a newer model and the gas mileage was ridiculous! haha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.