Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: classic car insurance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Hey guys I'm in Marietta Ga. for the weekend getting the wife settled in temp housing until we move. I've been trying to get insurance quotes from " conventional " ins. companies for the new house, the daily drivers and the two Porsches. While some of the quotes have been competitive on the Porsches I know I can do better. I just got a quote from Leland West for an agreed value policy on both Porsches for $30,000.00 each and the yearly premium is $320.00 each. This sounds pretty good. I have limited time to " internet search " this weekend so I thought I'd reach out to the world. Grundy was WAY higher and I'm waiting to hear from Heacock insurance. Any others to consider ? Neither Porsche is a daily driver and both will be kept/stored in the garage. I'm the only driver. And if an appraisal is needed how/where does that get done ? Thanks guys.
qa1142
I have Hagerty and have been happy with that
smontanaro
I'm guessing that if you're in Marietta you can't be too far from Auto Atlanta. I suspect George has done more than a few Porsche appraisals in his time.

Skip
black73
I use CHROME from ANPAC
blitZ
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jul 17 2010, 05:54 AM) *

I have Hagerty and have been happy with that

Another Hagerty customer. Good price, never had to file a claim. They automatically raised my agreed value this year for the same price as last year. Not sure why, but I didn't complain.
Mary Shortridge
As boring as it is, just be sure to read the fine print on the policy, and not just believe what the insurance company tells you on the phone. Our experience recently showed a big difference, when we were trying to insure Buttercup. It would have been a nightmare in the event of a claim.
jim_hoyland
I just got a quote from Grundy's; anyone have good/bad experience with them. sad.gif
scottb
i have american collectors insurance, state value policy. there is a limit on mileage per year but they do have choices on the yearly limit. price is reasonable at $130/yr for a stated value of $20k. never had a claim so can't speak to that process.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
The Hagerty rep came by here and left a flyer. I think that they are good, you could come by here and I can give you the brochure.

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jul 17 2010, 03:46 AM) *

Hey guys I'm in Marietta Ga. for the weekend getting the wife settled in temp housing until we move. I've been trying to get insurance quotes from " conventional " ins. companies for the new house, the daily drivers and the two Porsches. While some of the quotes have been competitive on the Porsches I know I can do better. I just got a quote from Leland West for an agreed value policy on both Porsches for $30,000.00 each and the yearly premium is $320.00 each. This sounds pretty good. I have limited time to " internet search " this weekend so I thought I'd reach out to the world. Grundy was WAY higher and I'm waiting to hear from Heacock insurance. Any others to consider ? Neither Porsche is a daily driver and both will be kept/stored in the garage. I'm the only driver. And if an appraisal is needed how/where does that get done ? Thanks guys.

Eric_Shea
agree.gif with Hagerty.
rfuerst911sc
If the Hagerty online quote tool is accurate it just gave me a quote for both Porsches with 30k agreed value each @ $989.00 per year for both. Leland West is $640.00 per year for the same coverage at least on paper. A difference of $349.00 per year will almost pay my homeowners insurance ! I'll see what Grundy and Chrome come up with. Thanks guys.
buhs914
Yeah I find that classic car insurers won't insure me since I'm 19 dry.gif .. I've looked up quotes and Hagerty seemed the best so far.. I wonder if they have an age limit.. And I'm an exceptionally good driver at my age.. I've taken quite a few defensive driving classes and was required to take an extensive driver's ed course in NC before I could even get my limited use permit!
rfuerst911sc
Interesting I just got an online quote from Grundy. Both agreed for 30k with a total yearly premium for BOTH cars of $423.00. Not each both. Also State Farm to the penny was the same as Hagerty....989.00 total for both. Strange voodoo this insurance game is biggrin.gif .
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 17 2010, 07:18 AM) *

As boring as it is, just be sure to read the fine print on the policy, and not just believe what the insurance company tells you on the phone. Our experience recently showed a big difference, when we were trying to insure Buttercup. It would have been a nightmare in the event of a claim.

agree.gif

..... definitely read it, because "agreed value", miles/usage allowed, how/where they're garaged, etc., etc. can vary widely.

AAA also has a classic car policy with an agreed value, which last year geve me a ballpark quote for my 73 914-2.0 at $20,000 (post resto) & <5,000 mi/yr at $215 IIRC - but I'm still "bare" until I get the resto going & value into the car (vs. boxes of parts covered under our homeowners policy). So I can't speak to how good they are, nor the fine print - but the quote was comparable to Hagerty, Heacock, etc.

If AAA also does homes there in GA, the advantage would be multi-policy discounts & one-stop-shop for home, DD & classic car insurance - so worth checking out. Here in CA they're very competitive price-wise for us.
Eric_Shea
Odd... both my P-cars are $240 annually for Hagerty.
Spoke
Have Hagerty for my 914 and 911.
PRS914-6
Hagerty

3 vehicles insured for 250/500/100 coverage

Agreed values:
71 Chevy Pickup $10k
84 911 $15k

My 914 is insured for $75K

Total premium for all three= $613.00

Young guys eat your heart out....Pays to be an old geezer biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 17 2010, 01:31 PM) *

Odd... both my P-cars are $240 annually for Hagerty.

It also varies by where you live or keep the car - both by state & each city/county/neighborhood - so that's why there would be a difference between each of your rates in different areas of the country.

Less people & traffic to whack it or steal it = less cost to insure it - usually!

But is is very odd that rfuerst got quotes almost 2x the low to high in the same dang city! dry.gif

Paul, wait a couple of years, then they'll start ADDING the old guy with half-zymers surcharge, to help offset your old fartz discount, like they do for me! biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
JC Taylor Insurance, competitive pricing and great "Stated cash value" coverage. Just about any high end body shop/ high end repair shop can produce an appraised value for you on their letterhead for a few bucks.
Marty
randyolson
OP, you might want to check The Hartford too. They do both - stated and agreed value. Good company for antique and classic car insurance.
rfuerst911sc
I ended up going with Grundy for both the 911 + 914. With an agreed value of 30k each it was $423.00 total per year for both. Good price and hopefully will never have to see how good they are with claims. biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 17 2010, 07:43 PM) *

hopefully will never have to see how good they are with claims. biggrin.gif

Amen to that driving.gif
914itis
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 17 2010, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 17 2010, 07:43 PM) *

hopefully will never have to see how good they are with claims. biggrin.gif

Amen to that driving.gif

i had mine this week with american collectors, $12000 / 160 a year
bmtrnavsky
I use JC Taylor. Great company... My grandfather had a claim with them no issues. I guess in the end that's REALLY what you are paying for.
PlaysWithCars
Read the fine print as posted earlier, particularly when considering a "stated value" and an "agreed value" policy. The insurers responsibility is significantly different between these two types of policy.

As I understand it:
Stated Value - you pay the premium based on the "stated value", if you have a claim (assuming total loss) they pay based on the adjusters assessment of value.

Agreed Value - you pay the premium based on the "agreed value", if you have a claim (assuming total loss) they pay based on the agreed value.

The stated value plans seem to be very biased and leave the customer with all of the risk.
Robert21
driving.gif They tell you were you can drive to. and how far . I drive my car every day. to the market. AMPM. anywhere i want you can,t with some . I have Mercury for $10,000 pay less than $200.00 a year
VaccaRabite
I go through American Modern and have my car insured for $14K @ 5000 max miles a year. I don't think I have put that many miles on it in the past 2 years combined.

Usually, you can't get collector car insurance unless 1) you are over 25 and 2) you say that you are going to store the car in a locked garage.

Zach
mojorisen914
I have mine with American Collectors. Agreed value at 25K, milage at 4k or less/year in locked garage. Total cost is < $190/year. Not a bad deal in my book.
Drums66
.....with a stock car you really don't need special insurance idea.gif
make your choice!!.....now with a heavily moded car?? confused24.gif
bye1.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Oct 18 2010, 03:08 PM) *

bye1.gif

Ummmm - NOPE! .... sorry, but I beg to differ! dry.gif

It's not whether a car has been modified, fully restored, well preserved, or somewhere else in the spectrum, when you're talking about 20+ year old vehicles.

With a standard policy they only settle/pay what the Blue/Gold/NADA/etc. "Book Value" is on the car - regardless of it's true value as a classic/vintage vehicle - basically an adjuster low balled DD value & that's it!

Whereas the classic car policies value at the stated or agreed value - but the former sounds like one is open to the same adjuster low balling games!

It's kinda like us older farts needing more health insurance coverage for our aged bones! laugh.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Oct 18 2010, 07:10 AM) *

I have mine with American Collectors. Agreed value at 25K, milage at 4k or less/year in locked garage. Total cost is < $190/year. Not a bad deal in my book.

Same here, the insurance is very affordable and they have an agreed value. I was worried if something happened on stated value insurance then I would not get near as much money. But on the other hand I don't drive it to work anymore with agreed value insurance because they don't technically allow it.

patssle
Usually, you can't get collector car insurance unless 1) you are over 25 and 2) you say that you are going to store the car in a locked garage.

I'm 24 sad.gif

I just have my 914 on the same insurance as my Mazda 3 through Progressive, but without collision. Can't justify the outrageous age discrimination rate for a car I don't have much money in.
oldschool
agree.gif Hagerty is what I have 15k for the white car, I keep it in the garage and I have a dd that is what makes more a Good rate flag.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(patssle @ Oct 18 2010, 07:20 PM) *

I'm 24 sad.gif

I just have my 914 on the same insurance as my Mazda 3 through Progressive, but without collision. Can't justify the outrageous age discrimination rate for a car I don't have much money in.

Unfortunately the age discrimination is "earned" & we've all been there! dry.gif

When I was in my 20's the young High School "gofer guy" in our office was the son of one of the wealthy clients, whose Dad bought him a new 911S for his 16th birthday, then another when he wrecked it, then a 930 when he wrecked the second (Dad was a bit slow on the up-take I guess). When sonny boy complained that his driving in the 930 was being limited by Dad due to the high insurance costs, I pointed out that HE & his kind were driving up my rates to outrageous-ness with zero accidents/points! mad.gif

At the time I was paying $2500+/- per year on my 73 914-2.0 that I purchased for $4500, with no accidents nor any "points" (yet!) - & that $2500/yr in 1976 equates to about $20k today (it was before insurance controls here in CA too)!!!! blink.gif
... and "I didn't even get kissed afterwords" sheeplove.gif by the insurance agent! dry.gif

Try AAA for a quote on your Mazda DD + a stated/agreed value classic policy (don't recall which it was) on the 914 - as they weren't that bad for me here in CA - but then I'm now in my late 50's, but have a 21 yr old son still on the policy.

FYI - IIRC it was quoted at $215/yr for a $20k agreed value, 5k miles per year & meas the only driver for pleasure use on the 914 (only a quote so far, until she's done resto'ed) & must be garaged (they even want to "inspect" the garage!), but that's on top of about $2k/yr on 3 other cars, my wife & son on the overall auto policy for our 3 other DDs listed below (which will drop when our son & 1 car "leaves").

PS - patassle - if the quotes are still too high, just wait til 25 & they should drop dramatically!
Drums66
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 18 2010, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Oct 18 2010, 03:08 PM) *

bye1.gif

Ummmm - NOPE! .... sorry, but I beg to differ! dry.gif

It's not whether a car has been modified, fully restored, well preserved, or somewhere else in the spectrum, when you're talking about 20+ year old vehicles.

With a standard policy they only settle/pay what the Blue/Gold/NADA/etc. "Book Value" is on the car - regardless of it's true value as a classic/vintage vehicle - basically an adjuster low balled DD value & that's it!

Whereas the classic car policies value at the stated or agreed value - but the former sounds like one is open to the same adjuster low balling games!

It's kinda like us older farts needing more health insurance coverage for our aged bones! laugh.gif

Uh Uh....Tom T.....the variables are endless for example ....age,length of time with 1 company, status & so on( don't tell me....you're an insurance clone??) poke.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif(us old farts? speak for your self)
Tom_T
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Oct 19 2010, 11:21 AM) *

Uh Uh....Tom T.....the variables are endless for example ....age,length of time with 1 company, status & so on( don't tell me....you're an insurance clone??) poke.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif(us old farts? speak for your self)

Whew - Ya lost me there Drums!!?? blink.gif
.. I don't disagree with those factors, but don't see where you're going with it? confused24.gif

.... & have no idea what you mean by "an insurance clone"?? confused24.gif
I'm not in that business, if that's what you meant.

I was just pointing out the differences between the standard DD auto policy & a classic one is that you get to set a more reasonable value relative to what you have into the car &/or what it's really worth as a collector/vintage auto - as have most everyone else here.

If your 914 is just an avg. value/condition DD - & you don't have another DD car, then it's probably not worth the limits on the classic car policy. However, the issue may be more of what it's really worth in current value (vs. what you paid back whenever & what you've put into it since then), & if you'll get a decent replacement value settlement on a standard DD type policy if something happens to it!

When I checked with AAA for my 914 on their classic policy - it was about half the annual cost of the DD policy on either the "now classic" 85 BMW or 88 Westy - mainly due to differences in their usage - plus our kid(s) were on the other 2 cars as secondary drivers - but not as quoted on the 914. Even pre-kids they were $500-600/yr each vs. the $215 quote at $20k for < 5k mi/yr quoted on the 914.

I know another guy with a 59 356 that he wants to switch to a classic policy & get an avg. 914 as a DD to save insurance payments on that same basis.

So it's food for thought & worth checking out insurance prices with your company, whenever your annual or 6 month renewal comes up. I check mine every year with AAA. shades.gif

slits.gif As for old - well we've PM'ed before off-line & we're about a year apart, so we're both considered "old farts" by our kids & the young bucks on here - & one's kids have a tendency to remind us of that fact dry.gif , unfortunate as that may seem! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.