Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fresh air
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
where is the fan that controls the fresh air vents? i wanna try to get to it and clean it up and make sure its getting enough power. it turns on and blows very little air. just barely enough to feel it with your hand next to the vents.
everything is hooked up and the controls work just not getting much air returned from it.
Cap'n Krusty
The fan doesn't control anything. The switch is the slider in the dash below the ash tray. First thing to check is the brass strips on the control. This can be done with a full length pencil with a good eraser. Access is through the ash tray opening. Clean each of the strips, maybe spray them with a good contact enhancer. If this doesn't make the fan work on each of the 3 speeds, then you need to get to the fan itself, which means removing the gas tank. As for the vent valves, each can be visually checked from the fan assembly area in the cowl by looking at each valve while someone operates the sliders in the dash.

The Cap'n
mipstien
where is the ground for the fan controls?
jim_hoyland
If you don't have the three fan speeds after you check the strips-per the Capt'n- then check the three terminal on the right of the control. You can see the three conections from under the dash, and even better when the radio/din are removed. It's common for one or more connectors to be off its terminal- especially after a radio installation.
mipstien
ok so i switched the 2nd and 3rd settings wires around and so the 'fastest' fan setting is on 2 for now until i can pull that thing out and bend the controls to get a connection in the 3rd setting.
anyways i still can't seem to get air outa the middle or front vents. i only get it outa the foot and defrost vents. and it does move around fine so the controls are working. maybe i have rats nest sad.gif any ideas before i start tearing the dash out what may be affecting those middle vents?
like i said i get air outa top and bottom vents and its a LOT of air but when i get to the middle vents they are nothing and both other vents aren't shooting air out anymore then.
jim_hoyland
Interestingly, I had the same problem with the high speed setting, so I swithced the wires. Later, it turned out that the third setting only worked when the contol ( slider) was full right ??

Had the air flow issue too; turned out some parking stubs found there way down the window defrost vents. Caught on when one day while driving 50-60 with fresh air vent set to fast and coming out the defrost. The parking stubs started to vibrate when I opened the window 1/2 ways. About 10 stubs had fallen down there....

The air flow is not that great when it works properly from my experience, but it helps... smile.gif
mipstien
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 17 2010, 02:27 PM) *

Interestingly, I had the same problem with the high speed setting, so I swithced the wires. Later, it turned out that the third setting only worked when the contol ( slider) was full right ??

Had the air flow issue too; turned out some parking stubs found there way down the window defrost vents. Caught on when one day while driving 50-60 with fresh air vent set to fast and coming out the defrost. The parking stubs started to vibrate when I opened the window 1/2 ways. About 10 stubs had fallen down there....

The air flow is not that great when it works properly from my experience, but it helps... smile.gif

thats pretty epic.
buhs914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 17 2010, 10:33 AM) *

The fan doesn't control anything. The switch is the slider in the dash below the ash tray. First thing to check is the brass strips on the control. This can be done with a full length pencil with a good eraser. Access is through the ash tray opening. Clean each of the strips, maybe spray them with a good contact enhancer. If this doesn't make the fan work on each of the 3 speeds, then you need to get to the fan itself, which means removing the gas tank. As for the vent valves, each can be visually checked from the fan assembly area in the cowl by looking at each valve while someone operates the sliders in the dash.

The Cap'n

I used to think that the "fresh air" was powered by free flowing air caused when driving.. poke.gif Since my fan has never worked through my entire ownership of this car haha. I guess I have something else to fix while I wait for my parts to come in. smash.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 17 2010, 11:14 AM) *

ok so i switched the 2nd and 3rd settings wires around and so the 'fastest' fan setting is on 2 for now until i can pull that thing out and bend the controls to get a connection in the 3rd setting.
anyways i still can't seem to get air outa the middle or front vents. i only get it outa the foot and defrost vents. and it does move around fine so the controls are working. maybe i have rats nest sad.gif any ideas before i start tearing the dash out what may be affecting those middle vents?
like i said i get air outa top and bottom vents and its a LOT of air but when i get to the middle vents they are nothing and both other vents aren't shooting air out anymore then.

on my 74 2.0 you can also turn the dash vents off by moving the lever on them all the way to the right, if you do this and look inside you will see this working...

the all the vents work through the cabling system (3 cables, one each of which is attached to each of the controls) if you cannot move the upper slider(fan speed) to full postion then there is an issue with operation of that cable.....read more..

oh when I did mine I found golf tees inside the system, not alot of blocking though.

when that particualar cable gets attached it has to be done so that the flaps are able to open and close fulle and importantly in paralell ( if can be connected so that one flap opens as the other one closes thus only getting air from one side and all the time.. ) ask me how I know..
it is a pain job, gas tank out than the cable connectting is no fun.. if your going to do it I recomend getting the seal kit for the fresh air box from 914 rubber it has the fan and flapper seals included and believe me yours if still there are dried out and foam crackling off..

Also be advised that postion one is so soft you may not notice it working at all if you do not pay attention, position 2 is low but obvious and 3 is as good as it gets.. this also may be adding to confusion.. be queit and you will here position 1 barely..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.