Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: picking up my 914 tomorrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william1764
Click to view attachment

I'm flying out of Baltimore tomorrow 8:30 am for Providence RI. Will take a cab to Newport to take possession of this 74' 2.0. Haven't owned a 914 since my early 20's...25 years ago! My dad will be joining me - he has always owned 911's since his first in 76' - including his current supercharged 993 and is responsible for my p car obsession. I got the 914 bug after driving the 73' he purchased in early 80's for mom and I purchased a 74' 2.0 shortly thereafter - I loved that car.

Funny thing is that I almost didn't buy this car. Had PPI performed by Tangerine 2 weeks ago. After weeks of back and forth and getting a PPI; the seller and I couldn't get together on price and I walked over a 10% difference in opinion...I can be hard headed at times. My wife sensed my disappointment (evidently my sulking was dead give away) and contacted the seller without my knowledge on Friday. Cut a deal with him, purchased plane tickets for both me and dad to go pick up the car tomorrow...she surprised me with this last night – yea, I know I’m one lucky SOB.

I want to thank Tim (seller), Chris at Tangerine, Craig at Camp (yes – it’s a former Camp car) and Don Plant for his advice…as well as, all on this site who have been most helpful during my search over the last 2 months.

I suspect we will be leaving RI for Baltimore around noon tomorrow. I know its crazy but dad and I intend to drive straight thru – 95 degrees / NY city traffic, Jersey Turnpike and all – I hope she’s ready for this!

Thanks again all – current pics to follow soon. Bill
ConeDodger
Congratulations. That is one good looking car.
JRust
Nice! Welcome back to the madness biggrin.gif . I hope the drive goes off without a hitch
rick 918-S
Dang! drooley.gif
siverson
That's a great story!
Betty
Congratulations on a beautiful car and a smart wife! smilie_pokal.gif

To quote a favorite movie... "You're part of our herd now; dignity is not an option". You sound like our kind of crazy! biggrin.gif

I hope you have a great road trip! I hope you and your Dad have a blast!

Oh... and welcome.png
avidfanjpl
I commend you on your color choice!

Drive safely! There are idiots out there on the 95.

Done that drive recently in a rental seeing my mom back East.

Hope the weather is better than lately.

John
Ericv1
With the right car, driving shouldn't be a problem. I drove mine from Texas to Ohio when I first purchased( a 15 hour route). Welcome to the obsession and enjoy.
okieflyr
Congradulations on the car! It looks just like my first 914 back in 1981.
Your welcome to stop by my place if you need refreshment or assistance.
I'm right on the PA/DE border 2 min from I-95/495 split. Cell # Six ONE 0-Five Seven 4- Five 2 0 Eight. Enjoy the ride!
EdwardBlume
agree.gif Congrats! smilie_pokal.gif
Ferg
beerchug.gif Congrats! Is that Jim Chambers old car??

pilothyer
Bill....Give us the story on your trip back and more pics of that beauty.
william1764
Thanks all. Long story short - the best 8 hour trip in 95 degree weather without air-conditioning EVER! Ran like a champ; pulls stronger than I recall my old 2.0 did driving.gif . I've started my wish list which I'll address this winter but until then I just plan to drive her. I'll post some pics soon.

Ferg - yes this is Jim's former car. You may know it was sold by Camp to a guy in Newport 3 or so years ago. PO only put 3,000 miles on her since then and took great care of her.

There are a couple issues I'll want to address immediately i.e. VERY low idle (almost stall), a fair amount of exhaust pop on decel, and replace fuel lines with stainless. Other than that it can wait.

Thanks again to all who helped with this. Bill
Ferg
QUOTE(william1764 @ Jul 19 2010, 07:15 AM) *

Thanks all. Long story short - the best 8 hour trip in 95 degree weather without air-conditioning EVER! Ran like a champ; pulls stronger than I recall my old 2.0 did driving.gif . I've started my wish list which I'll address this winter but until then I just plan to drive her. I'll post some pics soon.

Ferg - yes this is Jim's former car. You may know it was sold by Camp to a guy in Newport 3 or so years ago. PO only put 3,000 miles on her since then and took great care of her.

There are a couple issues I'll want to address immediately i.e. VERY low idle (almost stall), a fair amount of exhaust pop on decel, and replace fuel lines with stainless. Other than that it can wait.

Cool! I have some old pics from 2004 somewhere, NICE car!
Tom
Yep,
That is a very nice car. Saw it at camp when I was looking for mine. If I'd had more cash, it would have been in my garage! LOL!
Sent you a PM.
Tom
Ferg
From the West Coast Classic in 2004

william1764
Cool. I had the 916 bumpers on my previous 914. Man she looks orange & shiney...must be that west coast sun! Its great to have so much knowledge of its history.

Picked up my "Historic" tags today...kinda strange to think it qualifies for a historic designation - i'm 46, I guess i'm historic now!

Ferg - is Jim Chambers a member of this site? I'd love to get a bit more history on the engine switch.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(william1764 @ Jul 17 2010, 09:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'm flying out of Baltimore tomorrow 8:30 am for Providence RI. Will take a cab to Newport to take possession of this 74' 2.0. Haven't owned a 914 since my early 20's...25 years ago! My dad will be joining me - he has always owned 911's since his first in 76' - including his current supercharged 993 and is responsible for my p car obsession. I got the 914 bug after driving the 73' he purchased in early 80's for mom and I purchased a 74' 2.0 shortly thereafter - I loved that car.

Funny thing is that I almost didn't buy this car. Had PPI performed by Tangerine 2 weeks ago. After weeks of back and forth and getting a PPI; the seller and I couldn't get together on price and I walked over a 10% difference in opinion...I can be hard headed at times. My wife sensed my disappointment (evidently my sulking was dead give away) and contacted the seller without my knowledge on Friday. Cut a deal with him, purchased plane tickets for both me and dad to go pick up the car tomorrow...she surprised me with this last night – yea, I know I’m one lucky SOB.

I want to thank Tim (seller), Chris at Tangerine, Craig at Camp (yes – it’s a former Camp car) and Don Plant for his advice…as well as, all on this site who have been most helpful during my search over the last 2 months.

I suspect we will be leaving RI for Baltimore around noon tomorrow. I know its crazy but dad and I intend to drive straight thru – 95 degrees / NY city traffic, Jersey Turnpike and all – I hope she’s ready for this!

Thanks again all – current pics to follow soon. Bill

WOW; mine is a very similar story. I bought my first 914 when I was in my early 20's... about 25 years ago. I'll have to post a picture of it. Man, I loved that car. Mostly stock looking, with the 916 front and rear bumpers, fresh red paint and a 1910 cc , dual carb engine. Now, I have another 914. My intention with this car is to go with a SBC (it already has the Chalon body.

Anyway, 25 years ago, I drove that 914 from Connecticut to my new home in Florida. Although it was in winter and not summer, the car, nevertheless, performed spendidly! I think you will do as well!

Congradulations!
Ferg
QUOTE(william1764 @ Jul 20 2010, 09:58 AM) *

Cool. I had the 916 bumpers on my previous 914. Man she looks orange & shiney...must be that west coast sun! Its great to have so much knowledge of its history.

Picked up my "Historic" tags today...kinda strange to think it qualifies for a historic designation - i'm 46, I guess i'm historic now!

Ferg - is Jim Chambers a member of this site? I'd love to get a bit more history on the engine switch.

He is, but I have not seen him post much of late...
rwilner

Man she looks orange & shiney...

Orange is the fastest!!

Click to view attachment

Have a blast with it.
MDG
QUOTE(rwilner @ Jul 21 2010, 06:52 AM) *

Orange is the fastest!!

Great looking car! Congrats smilie_pokal.gif

From the pic of the car in front of Camp 914, I'd say Phoenix Red, shiney and faster than mere orange biggrin.gif
Look for L32K on the Karmann plate.

m.
Tom
agree.gif Phoenix red!
Tom
william1764
QUOTE(rwilner @ Jul 21 2010, 02:52 AM) *

Orange is the fastest!!

Click to view attachment

Have a blast with it.

agree.gif

VERY nice!
Spoke
Nice score. BTW, your wife is awesome for setting things up for you.
william1764
QUOTE(Tom @ Jul 21 2010, 04:07 AM) *

agree.gif Phoenix red!
Tom

Yes - Phoenix red. Does look way more orange than I expected...but I do love it!
william1764
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 21 2010, 08:19 AM) *

Nice score. BTW, your wife is awesome for setting things up for you.

agree.gif
warrenoliver

[/quote]

Bill,

That exhaust pop may be caused by the ECU dial turned all the way to the left (lean I think). Don't do as I did and try to fix the popping by removing and reinstalling the exhaust system with new gaskets - several times. My popping was finally cured when I turned that dial to the middle of its range.

Who knows, it may help that idle problem also.

Good luck.

Warrenoliver
william1764
[quote name='warrenoliver' date='Jul 21 2010, 04:34 PM' post='1346268']

[/quote]

Bill,

That exhaust pop may be caused by the ECU dial turned all the way to the left (lean I think). Don't do as I did and try to fix the popping by removing and reinstalling the exhaust system with new gaskets - several times. My popping was finally cured when I turned that dial to the middle of its range.

Good luck.

Warrenoliver
[/quote]

Thanks Warren.

Some background on my mechanical skills...NONE but I'm trying!

Question - what the heck is the ECU dial and where is it located:confused:
william1764
icon_bump.gif [quote name='william1764' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:07 PM' post='1346318']
[quote name='warrenoliver' date='Jul 21 2010, 04:34 PM' post='1346268']

[/quote]

Bill,

Good luck.

Warrenoliver
[/quote]

Thanks Warren.

Some background on my mechanical skills...NONE but I'm trying!

Question - what the heck is the ECU dial and where is it located:confused:
[/quote]

icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.