Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weber carb expert needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
I am currently rebuilding my 40idfs and noticed something.. compared to the Haynes Weber Carb Manual, my IDFs are different: they do not have the starter valves or mechanisim (on the side oppisite the diaphram) at all...

it simply has a blank plate there... but under the plate it appears to have the places for the starter mecahnism and the valves... they just aren't there...

should I worry? is this a big deal? the carbs seemed to run fine... I am only rebuilding them on principle...
were there IDFs without the starter valve stuff? early ones?

if this is important, can you get just that part?
lapuwali
No, you shouldn't worry. IDFs sold for VW applications never have the cold-start stuff, as it fouls the doghouse on Type 1 & 2 engines. When cold, you just pump the pedal 2-3 times to make the accelerator pump prime the carbs and fire it up. You have to nurse it a bit until it will idle with your foot off the gas. You could probably buy the parts, but they'd be very expensive. An easier and probably cheaper route would be to find a pair of used IDFs for a Euro FIAT, which had the cold-start bits. There was a set on Ebay quite recently.

Fabricating a linkage to operate both of them from one dash knob would be challenging. The FIAT engine is inline, so the linkage is very straightforward. Making one for an opposed engine is not.
tat2dphreak
that's what I figured... damn manual threw me though...

I knew they were working fine... and every carb I've EVER seen you had to pump 1-2 times when cold...

thanks for the info!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.