Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is this part (pic enclosed)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
curt914
Hi Folks

I found this part mixed in with a bunch of spare parts that I got from the previous owner.

It was originally tagged as an oil pump but now I know that is not correct.

Im told this thing is part of the original fuel injection system that was on my car(now carbed).

Car is 1973 2.0. I know absolutely nothing about the fuel injection system.

Whatever this is, is it likely to be good or something that is prone to failing.

Are new ones available?

Thanks for the help. smile.gif

Curt

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
That's your MPS... Its an important part of your FI.... if it holds a vacuum, its good.... and very worthwhile..
914werke
Curt indeed that is part of the Orig FI system.
Its commonly referred to as the MPS.
To test if its any good apply vacuum to the hose port & see if it holds.
5lbs is all that is necessary if it will hold that for a prolonged time its still good.
From your pic its still got rivets so its probably never been rebuilt (good).
Since your running carbs you'll probably not need it in any case so send it to me smile.gif
EdwardBlume
The full name is a Manifold Pressure Sensor....

Keep it.. its worth something until someone figures out how to replace the entire fuel injection with something better...
Mikey914
If it holds pressure that's gold baby!
pilothyer
Curt.....If it passed the vacuum test, check the coil resistances. The primary coil is measured between terminals 7 and 15 and should measure about 90 ohms. The secondary coil is measured between terminals 8 and 10 and should measure about 350 ohms. Also check the coil isolation - there should be no continuity between either of the coils and the case. If all these tests pass you have one sweet pineapple.
mtndawg
More than you ever wanted to know...
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/manif...sure_sensor.htm

I called Porsche here in California to find out if they could get one from Germany when I first bought my car. The parts guy called me back and said, "I can get one, but it's expensive." YES! the parts guy at the dealer said that. Apparently, they will part with a new one for $1500. They also rebuild them now for the very affordable cost of $600 to $700. Hopefully you have a good one. I found a good one for my car and it only cost me $50 bucks.
pilothyer
If I needed one these guys are where I would go first...really nice guys too. http://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/store/ind...products_id=433

Not too bad really...but dayyyyum look at this fuel pump.
http://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/store/ind...products_id=666
curt914
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help and info regarding this part.

Even though the fuel injection is not going back on the car now, I think I will test this thing now to see if it holds vacuum.
And thanks pilothyer for the electrical test instructions.

I can see now that if this thing is bad, its replacement cost is a major factor in re-installing the fuel injection.

Ooof -da..... those are big bucks biggrin.gif

Curt

EdwardBlume
Nice avitar Lompoc!

My 914 was bought off a VAFB park n show lot back in 1976......

Enjoy the back roads!
curt914
Wow that is cool. Do you still have that very car?

Im in Vandenberg Village, right down the road from VAFB.

Been in the Lompoc area about 25 years now.

And yeah, there are some nice back roads.

Thanks for the shout out. smile.gif

Regards

Curt
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(curt914 @ Jul 18 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Yep.

My Dad lived in Nipomo but we spent a fair amount of time at Vandenberg. I went to school in Santa Maria, but that was a long time ago...
curt914
Damn shades.gif .....nice car.

That is a beauty.

Curt

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 18 2010, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(curt914 @ Jul 18 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Yep.

My Dad lived in Nipomo but we spent a fair amount of time at Vandenberg. I went to school in Santa Maria, but that was a long time ago...

gothspeed
Definitely not an oil pump ..... wink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jul 21 2010, 07:14 PM) *

Definitely not an oil pump ..... wink.gif

Well, I think he knows that by now! blink.gif
curt914
HI vsg914

Actually, there is a funny behind the scene story here.

In anther thread I was asking what to do with some old parts I had from the previous owner. You know... keep or toss.
One of the items I listed was an old oil pump, at least thats what the label in the bag said it was. Gothspeed inquired if I might send that old pump his way. Sure.. why not.

So this past Saturday I started packing it up and took it out of the bag and had my first good look at it. Sure didnt look like something that went inside the engine to me.

And so, thats why I started this thread, wondering what the thing actually was.

Turns out to be the MPS as you guys helped me identify.

So now I had to write Gothspeed there and tell him....ummmm I dont know an oil pump from a hole in the wall, oh and sorry.... there wont be an oil pump heading your way after all.

Anyway, it was kinda funny.

But can you imagine my surprise if I found out later on that I just disposed of an expensive important part of my fuel injection system. headbang.gif

But Gothspeed's cool, he already told me he would have sent it back to me. aktion035.gif

So thats my little story for those hanging out here on the World this Wednesday evening, eager to read anything remotely 914 related. lol-2.gif

Curt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.