Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel injection experts needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtndawg
I'm running a 1.7 with original djet.
I drive the car yesterday while it was 100+ here in Sacramento. After driving about 40 miles, I turned the car off. After only 2 minutes I turned the key and the sounded like it was going to start, then died. I cranked it a few more times and nothing happened. i let it cool for about 10 mins, then cranked it again. It started right up on the 3rd crank and ran great for the drive home. I've had this hard to start situation a couple of other times in the heat.

I also have imperfect idle when the engine is warm. It idles between 1300 and 800. I know that's pretty good, but I would like to get it idling at 800 to 850 every time.

All new vacuum lines
Clean trigger points
Clean Trottle Position Sensor
Good MPS
Virtually new injectors
New fuel press regulator
New rubber fuel lines
New screen in the tank
New fuel filter

I have never touched the temp sensor Could this be the problem?...and yes I have read pbanders site many times, that's how I learned to operate on djet.
Jeffs9146
CHT Sensor!
JRust
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Jul 18 2010, 04:35 PM) *

I drive the car yesterday while it was 100+ here in Sacramento. After driving about 40 miles, I turned the car off. After only 2 minutes I turned the key and the sounded like it was going to start, then died. I cranked it a few more times and nothing happened. i let it cool for about 10 mins, then cranked it again. It started right up on the 3rd crank and ran great for the drive home. I've had this hard to start situation a couple of other times in the heat.

I also have imperfect idle when the engine is warm. It idles between 1300 and 800. I know that's pretty good, but I would like to get it idling at 800 to 850 every time.

All new vacuum lines
Clean trigger points
Good MPS
Virtually new injectors
New fuel press regulator
New rubber fuel lines
New screen in the tank
New fuel filter

I have never touched the temp sensor Could this be the problem?...and yes I have read pbanders site many times, that's how I learned to operate on djet.

It may be the common hot start vapor lock problem. Your fuel pump sits below the bettery under the engine tin. Lots of heat in this area. They moved the fuel pump to the front trunk to cure the problem in later years. I think there are some other tricks to cure the problem.
swl
I have a CHT that is high in resistance but it makes it hard to start cold. Starts ok hot. Easy to check though - pull the lead and measure resistance to ground. Then check your results against those on Brad Anders' web site.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Jul 18 2010, 04:35 PM) *

All new vacuum lines
Clean trigger points
Good MPS
Virtually new injectors
New fuel press regulator
New rubber fuel lines
New screen in the tank
New fuel filter

Sounds exactly like the hot start vapor lock issue, 100 deg. is hot, I have the fuel pump moved up front under the gas tank by the p.o. , and I still get that in So. CAl. when temps hit the upper '80' s and I am running around town not using the freeway in stop go traffic.. I would not chase any gremmlin ghosts without addrss that fuel pump location or live with it, Sacramento does get hot... Sounds like you take care of your car and pay regular attention to it, ..
pilothyer
Considering 1.7 D-Jet your CHTS should give pin 23 on the brain about 2K ohms when cold (68 degree F) after warm up it gives very little resistance (goes almost to short to ground) To see if it is your CHTS and not the dreaded vapor lock, next time this happens disconnect the CHTS and take an aligator test lead and clip it to the connector your CHTS was plugged into, connect the other end of the test lead to a good ground, even better connect it to the battery negative terminal. If the CHTS is at fault the car will start, if it is not the problem will persist.
underthetire
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jul 18 2010, 04:52 PM) *

CHT Sensor!

agree.gif
detoxcowboy
The above hotstart vapor lock, will occur with a new CHT.. It may be your CHT. And if so, and you start right up in 100 deg. wether after driving around, let me know where you fuel pump is mounted so I can put mine there.. icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.